Weird squeak coming from back of 14' XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird squeak coming from back of 14' XLT

Swartz22

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lewis, WA: born Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
So, I have about 5,000 miles on my 14' XLT and have noticed in the past few weeks that when I drive over a bumb or rough road I get this squeaking noise coming from the hatch area? I took a look at all the parts in the back and didn't notice anything out of place and nothing seemed to be rubbing on anything. Thought maybe the hatch is not closing all the way too, but it's not it either, was wondering if anyone else had any of these problems. I live in Germany and have a local ford dealership that honors it's warranty, just upset that I have a $35,000+ vehicle with almost no miles on it and already have to send it to a dealer and pray they cover it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you say you checked "all the parts in the back" I assume that also meant the spare tire and the jack? If you get the noise every time you go over a bump, try to find a spot where you can do this with the liftgate open and see if the noise is still there. Does it make a difference whether the 3rd seats are up or down? Do you know if the noise comes from the inside or outside?

Peter

Thanks for the advise Peter, I have not tried the spare tire, didn't cross my mind about that. But for the 3rd row seating, yes I have done that check. Also I had my wife get in the back as I was driving over cobble stone road and she says it sounds like it's coming the back hatch high in the corner behind the passenger side. I will try driving with it open today before sending it the dealer. I will even try and record it, to show?

Thanks for the advise Peter, I have not tried the spare tire, didn't cross my mind about that. But for the 3rd row seating, yes I have done that check. Also I had my wife get in the back as I was driving over cobble stone road and she says it sounds like it's coming the back hatch high in the corner behind the passenger side. I will try driving with it open today before sending it the dealer. I will even try and record it, to show?
Try to do it slowly and without too much shaking if you can. You don't want to risk damage to the liftgate when it's in the open position. The manual actually says to disable the power function when driving with it open.

Peter

Not sure if you had the noise corrected but after a few months my new 2014 Explorer - Limited also had developed a "weird squeak" coming from the rear of the vehicle. The noise "squeaky-rubbing" was clearly evident that it was inside the cabin, rear passenger side which may or may be what you are hearing. I found that the inside hatch panel (plastic covering) had come loose only at one clip and was rubbing against the metal frame of the hatch. Have to assume that the clip is also metal as a plastic clip wouldn't make that sound. t didn't have to take it off but only provided a quick hit in the area of the noise to reseat the clip. The panel looked fine and wasn't popped out along the edge. I was able to recreate the noise by slightly pushing on the panel which also allowed me to locate the clip that was disengaged.

I can hear a squeak in my car too but it is not consistent. I can not replicate it with each bump or pot hole. I have gotten used to it for now until the noise gets louder.

I had a mouse inside my vehicle but I don't recall it squeaking. :D

Peter

Check the liftgate rod if you have a power liftgate. The tech held it firm while I drove and the squeak stopped so they replaced it and it hasn't made a peep since.

Back