• Register Today It's free!

Weird tick?

AGodlyCanuck

Reaction score
City, State
Nelson, BC. Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer 4dr 4x4 XLT
So i installed a Junkyard motor, Everything is pretty good. Ended up replacing starter, and alternator and now ill have to do the radiator.
However, it runs. Seems okay at 100km/h too.

I do have this odd tick sometimes. Randomly happens Its like 5 loud ticks that last 3 seconds and that get quieter with every tick. Abny ideas? any concerns?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which engine?

When does the "Tick" happen?

Cranked exhaust manifold if it happens during start up or bad timing chains perhaps.

Which engine?

When does the "Tick" happen?

Cranked exhaust manifold if it happens during start up or bad timing chains perhaps.
oh, sorry. Its a 4.0 OHV in a 92.
Happens at idle.

At first start?

Everything I have seen around here is that the V-8's are bad about cracked exhaust manifolds at first cold start.

The SOHC loves to eat timing chains when it gets older.

The OHV is not a really bad player for chains but may like exhausts leaks.

'tick' is hard to diagnose. The V6 is prone to lifter tick. Could also be a fuel injector. I had random ticks in my engine for years, no problems though.

Well, My father who was a licensed, Red seal mechanic for 30 years always gives us this one piece of advice...

"If the vehicle still runs and drives the same and its not seeming to bother the computer, vehicle or you in any real way then its probably fine"

So. thats what i think.. It seems like even you guys think its relatively benign as it runs and drives fine. so ill just see if it goes away. The engine was sitting under a tree for 20 years so it could take some time i guess.

Back