Weird turn signal issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird turn signal issue

yugotprblms

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer
Hello all,

I am having a fairly odd issue, and I have not found any other posts with similar symptoms. Essentially, the turn signal works intermittently. It may flash normally for quite a while, and then it will just stay on. Or it may flash only a few times and then stay on, or it may just come on and stay on when I use the signal. I have not tried turning the hazards on to see if they behave the same way yet.

Would it be correct to think it would be an issue with the flasher? My line of thinking is that the switch or cables in the steering column may not be the issue as it happens with indicating a left OR right turn. It behaves the same for each side.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried tilting the wheel all the way UP? If that helps, you have an MFS or MFS wiring
connector issue. Easy enough to check. Intermittent electrical issues are a PITA, not fun. GL

That is not something I had even thought of. I will check that next time I get in my car.

Sounds more like the wiring (connection) or corroded contacts than the flasher. Start with the suggestion above.

Have you tried changing out the yellow relay under the dash out with a different one? I recently had a problem with my signal making a wired squeaking noise everynow and then

Any chance you have any LED bulbs installed? Those can make thermal flasher units (like the stock ones) act really weird. If it were me I would just try and replace the relay and see what happens, they're pretty cheap.

I do not have any LED bulbs installed. I did try tilting the column all the way up, but it did not help at all. What is the part number of the relay?

Yeah like aformentioned in this thread have you tried replacing the yellow relay? The turn signals will do really wierd things if the relays are bad.

Back