• Register Today It's free!

weird

lorraine1

Reaction score
City, State
wva
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ford explorer
ok guys got a question,i have a 98 with the 5.0 awd ,and in the winter i could see steam coming up from the defroster and stink to high heaven,heater control valve broke and i replaced it with straight pipe,i am losing water,heater core i thought,i took out seats,console etc ,but the carpet is stone dry.last time my wife drove it ,it got hot,she turned it off after seeing it,never went very far and it came back on roll back,any ideas?head gasket?heater core?ihave to replace valve anyway.

Yes, sounds weird. First thought would be heater core. Can you pressure test the heater core, have you done S compression test, have you looked at the plugs?

cant do pressure test,definitely heater core as i started it and front windshield fogged up and i could smell strong anti freeze odor,also new plugs and plug wires except one,the old manifold was burning the plug wire in two.new manifold,and maybe a thermostat sticking.when i put it in i didnt know the thingy goes at the top,i have crs.i never saw one bad that didnt wet the carpet though.i guess anything is possible.as far as i know compression is good ,runs good.good power.anyhow gonna start with heater core and go from there

found out all my anti freeze was going out the drain tube on heater box,thats reason my floor was dry.

Back