welder???'s

Bigcheck1

Reaction score
City, State
Marlton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Nissan Xterra
guys,
i'm looking to buy a welder for my new garage. something small to weld things like spring perches, thin metal and such.

my question is what kind (brand) and type would be good. i have welded before so i have a general idea. i dont need anything too pricey, i'd like to keep it on the not too expensive side if i can. just wondering what type of suggestions you guys might have out there.

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what could i do with a 230 volt Ac single phase 40-100 amp welder?

I have a Lincoln 220V 225A stick welder. For doing stuff like bumpers, sliders, etc, I prefer a stick welder over a Mig Welder because of the better penetration on 1/4" steel for the price. I think I paid $230 for mine new at Lowes.

A 100 amp AC welder will work decently up to about 3/16" of mild steel. I did most of the work on my Sammy bumpers and Doug's sliders at 115A.

I have a 110v Lincold Weldpak 100 with the CO2 gas hook up but they are around 400.00. Hobart has a similar 110v for about 300.00. Stick welders will be cheaper but much harder to work on anything thin as you mentioned you would want to. As Jd said, the 110v is rated up to 3/16 SINGLE pass-but you can weld thickerstock with it using a flux core wire and multiple passes. I have posted the link below before because it is a great site for any welding questions. (It's a welding forum similar to this explorer forum.)

www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/index.php?

Flux Core Welder!!!

I suggest a flux core welder, it looks similiar to a mig but uses no gas. Wire is reasonably priced and you can find em between $125 to $200 bucks. You can see my projects that I have posted, all of my projects were welded using my flux core welder made by Campbell Hausfeld (bought it at walmart but lowes and home depot sell the same brand as well as better brands like Lincoln. Mine cost me $149 + tax).

Here are some pics for you to check out, by the way it is a cheap set up having only two setting high and low and uses 110 outlet just like everything else in the house. I think its probably as simple as it can get.. :bounce:
I have done solid full width axle conversion and built a roll cage (which is almost complete).. By the way I can weld 1/4 to practically a fine sheet metal (1x16) and it does fine.

9352flex8.jpg

9352flex9.jpg

9352flex11.jpg

9352as2.jpg
9352fx26.jpg
9352r2-med.jpg

Good luck on finding your welder, hope this helped..

my first weld

Here is a pic of my first weld. How's it look?
It seems pretty easy. Can't wait till I get those rock sliders on now!!

Attachments

• P1010079.JPG
    P1010079.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 364

you might want to do some grinding and refilling on that weld, it doesnt look to me anyways that there is that much penetration if any at all

Msupertek,
I've seriously considered buying that very welder. I'd like to build good rocker pannel patchs...and an sas is in my future so i'll HAVE to have one. Not to mention all the other cool things I want to build to make my fiance roll her eyes lol. I also found some mig welders at rurual king (tractor supply store) for a really good price. I might have to put one on layaway :)

Later
CP :D

btw msupertek...i really really like your truck, i've thought about the possibility of making my expo a convertable :)

I have to agree with jimabena, that there weld ain't gonna hold- no penetration. Looks like your travel rate is too fast.Your weld should look like a row of dimes, one just slightly layed over the other.
take a look here: www.hobartwelders.com/techtips.html#mig

A few more practice runs and you'll have it; it is pretty easy.
Good luck

jimabena74 said:
you might want to do some grinding and refilling on that weld, it doesnt look to me anyways that there is that much penetration if any at all
Yeah, no grinding and filling. That was just my very first "Play" weld. I have never welded before, and that was just on some angle iron I had laying around. I'm sure with some more practice, that I will get it down. I can't wait to get out there and do some more!!

Thanks for the website Broccoli1!! It definately helps!

Thanks for all the criticism, good or bad. It all helps!!

Andy- did you use the hobby shop?

Naw, I just went to harbor freight and bought my own. $150 bucks for a starter welder doesn't seem bad to me. Also, where did you get your steel from. I need to start planning some sliders and a rear bumper too.

let me know.

Andy

Blaine122300 said:
Also, where did you get your steel from.
Andy

I got them at Southwest Steel. Take golflinks west and make a right on AJO pass the first light (palo verde) and right before the next light take a left. I forgot the street name. :eek:

Be sure when you are welding you start on one piece creating a puddle in the work it from one piece to the other (basically a left to right motion while very slowly moving upward to finish the weld) to mix it properly. Remember a good
weld with good penetration comes from melting one metal into the other thoroughly. Looks like the wire speed was to high and there was no side to side movement, looks to me you just moved strait down the seem. Try working the bead left to right and go down the seem slowly. Good Luck.

Thanks for the help.
I will have to get a new mask. The one that came with the welder I have to hold with one hand, it would be nice to use 2 hands to control the "magic wand".

Ariel, are you still in town. The last time I saw your X was at the gas station on base like a week ago.

Did you see your wife had a little section in the base paper??

Talk to ya later.

Andy

Be sure to buy you a autodarkening mask it helps more than you'd beleive. I spent more on my mask than I did my welder (its snap on thats why) but you should be able to find one for about 60 bucks at somewhere like harbor freight.

Back