welding the front diff..good or bad | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

welding the front diff..good or bad

bigorange440

Reaction score
City, State
ABBOTSFORD B.C
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 EXPLORER LIMITED
i have to change my ball joints on my explorer so i figured i might aswell change the front diff fluid and well im in there i was thinking of welding the front diff up....i was jsut wondering how the dana 35 will handel being welded...or should i just spend the money and get a locker.....and does anyone have a used one for sale...thanks

I wouldn't. Is it a daily driver? Do you have manual hubs?

If you do weld them you will be getting out of the vehicle on the trails every tight turn to switch one of your hubs.

If you weld up the spiders, when you go to make a turn on pavement, the inner tire is gonna chirp and hop and that could eventually snap axleshafts, and ruin bearings and tires.
Now if it is strictly for offroad, then when turning the inner tire will be allowed to slip in the loose ground and shouldn't cause any trouble.
if you have manual hubs, and leave them unlocked while driving, the front end shouldnt spin anyway so it won't hurt anything.......i think. I would still go the locker way if it is in the budget. and if it is not, wait till it is. ;)

thanks guys... i am trying to get a detroit for the front right now..i hope i get it....

Back