CBoug76

Elite Explorer ECX Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Dracut, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Sport
What should be done or not done when you weld brackets to the frame of your 4x4?

Should you disconnect the Battery? the GEM? the Computer?..........???????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Corl, You were the Member that I wanted to hear it from!

I have never experienced any problems welding on a vehicle with the battery connected, but to be safe it can't hurt to disconnect the negative cable.

When you weld to a vehicle, you want the ground clamp as close a possible to the working area. The reason for disconnecting the battery is to prevent massive amounts of electricity from flowing through something like the computer and frying it.

According to Ford:

If welding must be done on a frame, make sure the following requirements are met:

l If the frame is attached to the vehicle, the battery ground cable must be disconnected before using any electrical welding equipment.

l Do not use gas welding equipment; arc welding is the only approved method.

l Use a temperature-indicating crayon to ensure that the temperature does not exceed 750ºC (1400ºF).

l Replace spot-welded components by spot welding where possible. If spot welding is not possible, use puddle welding.

Thanks Guys!!

Hey CBoug!

What are you welding? Making perches for the back?
Karl

No.......

I Finally have my Front bumper shackle plates made, and cut, now I have to Mount them, I think im gonna weld and Bolt them in........

Back