• Register Today It's free!

Well dang! It happened.

JustWarminUp

Reaction score
City, State
Ramsey, MN.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police Interceptor U
So I was gone for a bit, the wife got a recall letter for my ol' 2013 interceptor, thought she was going to do me a favor and took it in...
Dealership took all my fun away, re-tuned, changed out my heavy duty equipment and Neutered it. Runs like a Limp noodle now...

Anyone know what the specifics for the tune they had prior to dealerships "Decommission"?
Anyone know of a way to get it back to what it was before they touched it?

Contacted livernois waiting for a reply.
Anyone have their N/a 3.7 tune?

20201009_012029.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What the recall that the letter referred to?

Peter

What do you mean by “changed out my heavy equipment”? I’d be going back and they’d be putting it back like it was.

I’m curious what was removed. If it went in for a recall and they did something else then there is an issue.

I wonder if they have some written instructions from Ford about what to look out for in these decommissioned vehicles? Until the OP explains what he meant by “changed out my heavy equipment” we are left guessing. :dunno:

Peter

They took my ballistic door panels to start, I'm guessing they had their way with some of my suspension, rides like a limp noodle now.

I havent done a full dig yet, but I'm guessing my Glass has probably been swapped, and the rear seat window guards have been taken as well.

It was almost a complete cop car, including siren and multiple other beauties. My visor lights are gone too.

The wife says, they were suppose to have it 1 day to do the change, ended up keeping it for about 2 weeks total, kept saying they had not had time to get to it.

They took my ballistic door panels to start, I'm guessing they had their way with some of my suspension, rides like a limp noodle now.

I havent done a full dig yet, but I'm guessing my Glass has probably been swapped, and the rear seat window guards have been taken as well.

It was almost a complete cop car, including siren and multiple other beauties. My visor lights are gone too.

The wife says, they were suppose to have it 1 day to do the change, ended up keeping it for about 2 weeks total, kept saying they had not had time to get to it.
I would be filing a police report for theft, none of those are restricted items, and without authorization to remove them, that is theft.

Is there a place to find restrictions and the normal steps taken when decommissioning a cop car? I have been feeling that way. I dont know if they took them out or cut my wires but none of the lights are working either.

I can potentially see an issue with having the lights, but nothing else is illegal. It’s also not typically Ford equipment. They usually sell the trucks, and then whoever the big upfitter in the region is installs whatever custom gear that specific agency wants.

I’d demand all my equipment be returned.

Nothing that extreme for me but I swear they removed the pursuit mode from mine last year.

So.......any update?

Filed police report, the dealership had no answer to what they did, I'm having a tough time proving what I had and what they took but thank God I do cherish what I have and love taking pictures of all my cars, got a boat this year and the car was in the background with windows down so I got to prove some pieces. And then close ups from car washes for more things ect ect. Never gonna get my ballistic panels or cost behind them I bet... tough yo prove something that's not in sight.

Yes Aronedu1 if you bring it to a dealership they will detune the vehicle and give you a basic tune, that standard procedure from what I have read.

Does anyone have insite into to exactly how a decommission procedure is suppose to go? Like the specifics that Ford receives? I'm going to need it for this case I feel.

You purchased that car as it was, everything in it is yours. The dealership cannot change anything without your permission. There is no decommission procedure, unless it was part of your purchase contract.

Peter

The first article is ridiculous. “Removal of everything including every single wire” is nonsense. No one EVER strips a vehicle that thoroughly. It’d be way too cost prohibitive, and there’s no inherent issue leaving a harness.

The CHP strips the harnesses and reuses them. The cars are sent back to Sacramento and stripped of everything before going to auction. They donate the ballistic panels to other agencies who cannot afford them because they start to degrade over time so the CHP doesn't reuse them. Everything else is refurbished and goes into a new car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At my previous agency we removed the lightbars and other lights and reused, saved for parts if current model, or sold at auction. Radios and antennas were removed, ordered new harnesses, and installed in new units. If out of date then sold back to radio dealer to upgrade. Consoles were usually wore out and we left them. Lighting and siren controls were reused if in good shape. If not then saved for spare parts. Siren speaker was usually reused. Camera system and radar systems reused. Cages went to scrap metal. Wiring cut as items were removed. Order new harnesses each time. Harnesses are cheap. Paying for labor to remove wires is expensive. Decals were removed. Antenna and lightbar holes plugged. We didn't have ballistic panels. Spotlights stayed unless we needed for parts for another unit. At my current agency it is a lease.

There was no dealer work done. We did not pay to reprogram the unit or remove factory parts. You do what is cheapest for the government. It doesn't make sense to pay big hourly labor at a dealer on a vehicle you are getting rid of. Goes to auction as is. Their is no de-program, detune, or downgrade the ECM. The dealer may check for recalls or bulletins and re-program the ECM based upon that, but that is to correct an issue; not to "detune" a vehicle for sale to the general public.

Did you ask if they re-programed the ECM? If they did re-program did you ask why? Was there any other outstanding service bulletin or recall? They would have no reason to flash the ECM for the toe link recall and the tech/dealership would not be making money by messing around with the ECM. Dealers are in the business of making money and generally don't perform any more work than what they are getting paid for. If you are not sure you can read the ignition count to see how many key cycles you have. If you have a very low number of key cycles then your ECM has recently been flashed.

Have they reviewed camera footage of the dealership? Every dealership I know has cameras. Did PD review them for activity? Also are you certain you had ballistic panels? How do you know they removed them? And the glass is the same between Explorers and PIU. There is no ballistic glass.

Back