Well heck...Brake Booster went out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Well heck...Brake Booster went out

ThreeJs

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas/Henderson NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB Explorer 4x4
Couple of months ago..transfer case went out.....

NOW....:banghead:

About a week ago I had to do a hard emergency stop in traffic due to an accident ahead and lookie-loos.
Yesterday, on the way to work, I had one issue with a hard brake pedal, rapid deceleration for a quick light.
Drove home this afternoon and the booster developed a hiss when depressing the pedal. :angryfire:
Light braking it seems to be working fine. Depress the pedal quickly and harder and I lose boost assist and get a very hard pedal with increased braking distance.

That's the backstory....

I'm going to pick up a booster this weekend probably. Pretty sure I'll be able to shift the master cylinder over enough to get the booster out.
Any tips for removing?

Can you take a bunch of pictures and a how to
I haven't ever done this job on an explorer
Very interested

Disconnect the MC and move it out of your way. Booster is bolted to the firewall with 4 studs and attached to the brake pedal linkage. Straight forward job, Nothing tricky.

Pretty much self explanatory.
Disconnect the vacuum hose from booster.
Remove 9/16" (14mm) nuts holding master cylinder. Inner mount stud has two nuts (One for bracket/One for M/C.)
Move master cylinder off to side.
Under dash. Remove clip for brake switch and remove switch at the same time disconnecting the rod for brake booster.
Unbolt four 1/2"(13mm) holding booster to firewall
Maneuver booster out of engine bay.
boostera.jpg

Back