• Register Today It's free!

well I am on new ground

dodger1094

Reaction score
City, State
fayetteville nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 bronco II
I am a veteran 4 wheeler, but new to the B2 complex.
This thing is sending back to school.
I want to drop a fresh 2.9 in my 88 an I am not happy with how easy the work is. I came out wondering if I could "CANE" some ford engineers. It didnt have to be this way! I had the typical blown head gasket, so I thought I will just yank that puppy off there , stick a new gasket on it and saddle up. works on my F100. I consulted with some young ford guys that began with NEW HEAD BOLTS, duh why?
So I am getting ready to comply when the tranny begins howling in gears that the shift is in 1-3-5 ( loud ) now I am more not happy. So today I suited up , and there to my surprise is a transmission situation. Front drive shaft screws are what look like torx, but arent T20, and a 3/8 open end fits but slips off. I went to my tool shed got 12 pt 13mm for the the rears. I am looking at this tranny and it isnt anything like my jeep T90. Or my bronco witha 4.9 four speed. So
Do I have to dissasemble the tranny to get it out and where does it bolt to the engine.

Dodger,:salute: refer : China Beach

No screws loose

You haven't gone mad. The BII is actually a pretty simple machine to work on, trust me new stuff makes it look like a T. The trans comes off the same way, 6 bellhousing bolts, starter, etc. Those stupid torx bolts for the driveshaft can be thrown in the trash, just put Dana 30 or 35 strap bolts from a Jeep back in with the normal heads. Your trans may have failed because of improper gear oil. The older manuals state to use 90w gear oil, you can kiss the trans goodbye. Most rebuilders suggest using 10 w 40 synthetic engine oil, or better yet synthetic ATF, don't laugh it works. The problem is that the support bearing inside the front shaft that supports the rear shaft can not be lubricated with thick oil, and it burns out ruining everything. By the way, you replace the head bolts because you stretch them as you tighten, they are a use once only bolt.

I always thought the head bolts tightening issue was goofy...almost as if "Bubba" designed the engine:

*setting: under a shady tree in the back yard*

"Hey, Bubba! Gitcher @$$ over heya'! I gots a keshtyun for ye..."

"Yah whassit?"

"Hows tight these heya' head bolts suppos' be? I ain't got no book and no torkt wench!"

"Golly just tightnen 'em down reeeealll tight-like, then tightnen 'em down again until them thar bolts squeeeeeeeeel like a stuck pig! That'll keep 'em in nice an' tight-like!"

*...and once again, we see the brutal magic of engine repair using the Armstrong+cheater bar method...*

Somehow the engineers at Ford let this torque setting pass the "well duh!" test...

Personally, I like the B2. Relatively easy to work on and maintain...

Back