Well I found my problem but I don't know part this is. Will an expert look? (pic) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Well I found my problem but I don't know part this is. Will an expert look? (pic)

nevrsumr22

Reaction score
City, State
Bel Air, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4x4
My air wouldn't change directions so I thought it was the vacuum but digging through the glove area I found this. If I move it manually it changes the air and the metal rod is moving back and forth so I just need the plastic piece.

2010-10-14_18-40-35_965.jpg

2010-10-14_18-40-28_204.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to Ford that piece is not serviceable. You would need that heater box chamber which requires the dash to be removed.

According to Ford that piece is not serviceable. You would need that heater box chamber which requires the dash to be removed.

Ok then lets get inventive lol. Does anyone have a pic of the original piece I can look at?

Do you know if I bought the heater box chamber if I could just take that part off and put it on without removing the dash?

All I have is a service manual illustration. It appears the "pin" is broken off.

02VacuumControlMotorPanelAirflow.gif

I need to find it and see if I can just super glue it back maybe.

gluing it is your best option. Trust me, you do not want to take that dash apart. Some pics from my own little escapade, just weeks after I got the thing:
J67aD.jpg

1j1U9.jpg

If the pics don't say enough, it was hours and hours of HELL in about a 95 degree shop.

gluing it is your best option. Trust me, you do not want to take that dash apart. Some pics from my own little escapade, just weeks after I got the thing:
http://imgur.com/J67aD.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://imgur.com/1j1U9.jpg[IMG]

If the pics don't say enough, it was hours and hours of HELL in about a 95 degree shop.[/QUOTE]

Yea I might be able to get it apart but not back together haha. Even if I can't glue it ill just fix it to half defrost and half bottom for the winter and then move it to front for summer. No big deal.

Well I got her working again. I found the broken piece in the lower vent but there was no way to glue it back on I couldn't get in there to get a good angle. Drilled out a hole and zip tied it. There is slack on both ends it moves the flap 100% travel. What a relief to take care of that on my own. The reason that thing broke is the metal bar travels a lot further than the plastic does so after all these years it snapped. Not the best design on that.

2010-10-15_16-02-19_737.jpg

2010-10-15_16-02-08_998.jpg

Back