well I've finally bit the bullet SAS | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

well I've finally bit the bullet SAS

well I've finally bit the bullet: Curtis' 3-link SAS

I'll be picking up my D30 from a TJ with 4.10s (to match the 4.10 i already have) plus, its 50% day at the JY :D i will be making my own custom three link, using ballistic joints on the frame side & Rustys superflex joints at the axle, lower links are 1.5" DOM .120 wall sleeved with 2" DOM .250 Wall. Third link is 1.5" DOM .120 wall with a Creeper joint at the frame and stock jk end on the axle.

bracket.jpg

bracket2.jpg

Ill also be using an adjustable track bar from an XJ that im getting for free, the coil buckets are from ballistic and the shock towers are f250 ones. The steering box will be from an ifs Toyota with a trailgear pitman arm, the return line is stock while the stock pressure line was lengthened, ill also be using a hybrid shaft from the toy box and stock explorer shafts. all the steering on the axle will be chevy TRE over the knuckle with 1.25" .250 tubing and the drag link is the same tube with 3/4 heims. Brake lines will be from Rustys, going to use Wild Horse EB 5.5" springs and shocks are Bilstein 5125 12" travel and im going to SOA the rear with the stock shocks mounted in the top sway bar hole.

I moved the axle 3" forward for a wheel base of 105" and will be using a hybrid driveshaft from a first gen and my 95-96 front shaft. Now has 35/1250/15 new MTR's on 15x10 black wheels (don't know what kind) and kept the spacers up front.

And my 4.10 front diff and 2" body lift with custom brackets will be for sale, if anyone is interested PM me

Im sure ive forgotten something but heres the budget brake down so far:
Axle $60
Mounts $100
Custom 3 link $200
Dana 30 Lock Right $75
Axle Seals & Synthetic Gear Oil $70
8.8 Aussie $280
Ruffstuff 8.8 diff cover $135
Ruffstuff D30 cover $125
35" MTR's $714
Wheels $0
Extended stainless brake lines $62
Steering box $50
Shock towers $60
Ballistic buckets $85
WJ brake swap $300
One ton steering $200
Sliders $150
Shocks $175
Misc Items (cutting wheels, welding wire, bolts, etc) $100

Total so far $2981

pics to come.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

got my tax money back so i bought the link brackets and decided to go head and pick up an aussie for the 8.8 and a ballistic diff cover.

Im waiting to see if a friend of mine has the two lower arms i can cannibalize and use.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

everyday this build changes. got some more toys today.

diff.jpg

aussie.jpg

ruffstuff diff cover from east coast gear supply, 3/8" steel with a 1/2" ring.

and this is how she sits now since i have an f'ed up body bolt :rolleyes:

truck.jpg

i got the arms from my buddy, just need to get some poly-bushings, steering box & lines, and have ordered a trail gear creeper joint for the third link.

you have a pm

frontaxle.jpg

not that there is much interest in this build, but im documenting non the less. front axle is out.

the arms i got are 2" OD, .370 wall with large Rubicon Express joints on each end. the coils are rubicon express 5.5 TJ coils

you should have found a D30 from XJ Cherokee high pinion non disconnect thay are 30% stronger than a TJ. Correct rotation! and Cherokee springs do not have enough spring rate for an explorer. Check your door tag and check a grands door tag, you will see a big difference in the front gvwr. We have frames, they are car like, you know, frameless.

reason behind a TJ axle is that it already came with 4.10's (aka saved me around $350) it is a non-disconnect axle. lp & hp dont really make too much of a difference at this point. but i want cherokee springs because they are softer, because i ultimately dont want it to sit really high, im going for a lower COG. and the springs i got flex amazingly.

heres a pic of my buddys jeep they came off, granted the tire is in the air and he was limited but his worn out poly bushings. that cherokee has 37s on it.

johnsjeep.jpg

Do you have a "spring backup plan" in case you dont like 'em? Just saying... the explorer has about 800-1000lbs more sprung weight than an XJ and whats soft on an XJ is going to be super-duper soft on an Explorer.

Either way, its a cool build... keep up with the documentation you'll find most of these threads dont really take off until the pics of work being done start piling up. :D

what will happen is like if you take a ball boint pen spring in your fingers and compress it. it will bow and buckle under the weight. And the taller the coil the worse it gets. A 4in over explorer coil is shorter than a stock XJ or ZJ coil. If you do put the XJ coils under it watch for bow and stand back and hope they dont shoot out! if your upper spring bucket is centered over the lower at ride hight there is less chance of that but! the arc of your control arms can change all of that. the longer the better for you

Do you have a "spring backup plan" in case you dont like 'em? Just saying... the explorer has about 800-1000lbs more sprung weight than an XJ and whats soft on an XJ is going to be super-duper soft on an Explorer.

Either way, its a cool build... keep up with the documentation you'll find most of these threads dont really take off until the pics of work being done start piling up. :D

yea, i have a couple ideas on springs. what im going to do is SOA the rear first and adjust the front according to the rear height.

ummmm, i think im missing something here?

26143_737564527833_22219908_4139146.jpg

started front dissasembly tonight, and if i could ever work my correct schedule at work i could get my flipping garage wired for 220.

rear is done, just need u-bolts, this thing is tall as all hell! stock 4 door leafs with no overload and stock length shackles.

truck-1.jpg

plasma cutter is up & running too, now to start cutting :bounce:

forgot to add i picked up this little number
cover.jpg

ruffstuff dana 30 cover

Hell yea. :thumbsup:

Having the rear done is good motivation to get done with the front. :D

Yes sir, you got your motivation now. Looks good.

Subscribing, interesting build. I wanna know how much the tj30 holds up to a lunchbox locker. What size tires you planning on running?

Subscribing, interesting build. I wanna know how much the tj30 holds up to a lunchbox locker. What size tires you planning on running?
yea we will def find out, i plan on having plenty of spare parts for it since they are easy to come by because most of my friends have a d30. im gonna eventually run 35/12.5/17 with an aluminum wheel to save weight. I finally got out the nice camera

sas1.jpg

sas2.jpg

Booyah! No going back now! :cool:

Lookin Good.

:popcorn:

That frame is not clean enough!

This is a clean frame
2036219_86.jpg

Now get back under there and getter done!

ill be the first one to admit, grinding all those brackets smooth SUCKS!! i have also discovered my rear drive shaft is to short, and that i will be building a custom trans cross member to compensate for the 3-link.

btw anyone know exactly how much longer a 4 door rear drive shaft is?

Back