well I've finally bit the bullet SAS | Page 4 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

well I've finally bit the bullet SAS

well I've finally bit the bullet: Curtis' 3-link SAS

I'll be picking up my D30 from a TJ with 4.10s (to match the 4.10 i already have) plus, its 50% day at the JY :D i will be making my own custom three link, using ballistic joints on the frame side & Rustys superflex joints at the axle, lower links are 1.5" DOM .120 wall sleeved with 2" DOM .250 Wall. Third link is 1.5" DOM .120 wall with a Creeper joint at the frame and stock jk end on the axle.

bracket.jpg

bracket2.jpg

Ill also be using an adjustable track bar from an XJ that im getting for free, the coil buckets are from ballistic and the shock towers are f250 ones. The steering box will be from an ifs Toyota with a trailgear pitman arm, the return line is stock while the stock pressure line was lengthened, ill also be using a hybrid shaft from the toy box and stock explorer shafts. all the steering on the axle will be chevy TRE over the knuckle with 1.25" .250 tubing and the drag link is the same tube with 3/4 heims. Brake lines will be from Rustys, going to use Wild Horse EB 5.5" springs and shocks are Bilstein 5125 12" travel and im going to SOA the rear with the stock shocks mounted in the top sway bar hole.

I moved the axle 3" forward for a wheel base of 105" and will be using a hybrid driveshaft from a first gen and my 95-96 front shaft. Now has 35/1250/15 new MTR's on 15x10 black wheels (don't know what kind) and kept the spacers up front.

And my 4.10 front diff and 2" body lift with custom brackets will be for sale, if anyone is interested PM me

Im sure ive forgotten something but heres the budget brake down so far:
Axle $60
Mounts $100
Custom 3 link $200
Dana 30 Lock Right $75
Axle Seals & Synthetic Gear Oil $70
8.8 Aussie $280
Ruffstuff 8.8 diff cover $135
Ruffstuff D30 cover $125
35" MTR's $714
Wheels $0
Extended stainless brake lines $62
Steering box $50
Shock towers $60
Ballistic buckets $85
WJ brake swap $300
One ton steering $200
Sliders $150
Shocks $175
Misc Items (cutting wheels, welding wire, bolts, etc) $100

Total so far $2981

pics to come.

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

GRNMACHINE

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Sport 4x4
Subscribing--this is looking really good! Cant wait to see the finished project---well, not sure if projects are ever finished... But rollin on those 35's !!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

damarble

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac 5.0L manual
Looking good.

Wondering why you modified the crossmember? It shouldn't have caused any problems as it was.

TarHeel085

And den
Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4wd
Looking good.

Wondering why you modified the crossmember? It shouldn't have caused any problems as it was.

My mount for the upper link sits exactly where the stock crossmember bracket sat. Plus mine must be different then newer truck because the front driveshaft was bottoming out a lot sooner then it should be.

crazyflights

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St. Joseph, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 1 ton Jeep
Looking, good, 2nd gen SAS are fun

damarble

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
Looks beefy. My welds weren't the prettiest on those brackets either, but after cutting them off tonight and seeing the penetration, there was no need for worry!

damarble

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
I'm getting this strong feeling of deja vu.... ;)

00whxploder

Reaction score
City, State
Fitzgerald, GA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xls 4x4 now
frontaxle.jpg

not that there is much interest in this build, but im documenting non the less. front axle is out.

the arms i got are 2" OD, .370 wall with large Rubicon Express joints on each end. the coils are rubicon express 5.5 TJ coils

price?

coco944x4s

Reaction score
City, State
Staley, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer 78 F150
how much for the body lift?

TarHeel085

And den
Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4wd
well shes headed to the local 4wp today for completion. i no longer had the resources at my disposal to complete it at home so my friends up there have volunteered to help/finish it.

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...That sure isn't the 4WP's I go to...You can't even get parts the same day...

..:scratch:..So, what all did you have them finish up for you???

TarHeel085

And den
Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4wd
lol yea i had to get it out of the garage so it could be towed up there. im going to have them finish the steering and panhard bar mount and then ramp it for shocks. my welder went kaput so i cant finish without it.

GRNMACHINE

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Sport 4x4
I Dig It!!! Any plans for the cleaning up the fender cuts/holes in rear fender? Were you able to sell the grey tupperware?

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Looking good Tar!

00whxploder

Reaction score
City, State
Fitzgerald, GA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xls 4x4 now
Okay what did you do about steering?