Well, that didn't sound good! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Well, that didn't sound good!

That sucks....Good luck....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I got Ford involved. They are looking into it, and already are trying to make it right for me somehow.

Well, I got Ford involved. They are looking into it, and already are trying to make it right for me somehow.

DubbsFaris

Thanks for keeping us all up to date, great idea getting Ford involved.
Hope you get it worked out soon.

Brian

Well, thats what these forums are for! I am eager to find out what happened.

My dealer called me, and they had a Ford engineer already there and helping. That was either lucky timing or amazing response time.

So, they rebuilt the transmission, and it broke on the test drive. Then they replaced the transmission altogether, and it did the same thing again.

Ford is offering a buyback, but I don't know the details yet. I'm uncertain what happens, but will share it as it goes along.

oh wow no comment :eek:

So, they rebuilt the transmission, and it broke on the test drive. Then they replaced the transmission altogether, and it did the same thing again.

Ford is offering a buyback, but I don't know the details yet. I'm uncertain what happens, but will share it as it goes along.

So while I'm waiting, I dropped off a company truck at the same dealership. Noticed my exploder still in the air minus drivetrain parts. Don't know what they will do now, but i did hear that the 2016 sport and platinum are having serious issues. There were some design changes in the transmission that are causing all kinds of havoc. I'm not really one to spread a rumor, but found it odd I'm not reading anything like that here. Anyone here something like that?

If it was me I would negotiate a trade. Brand new equal vehicle with the biggest extended warranty offered. Then have ford pay cost to register new vehicle and taxes.

They may bite on that one. Their profit from the original sale will cover that. Plus when the buy the car back and find out it was a supplier issue they will just charge it all back to the supplier.

... I did hear that the 2016 sport and platinum are having serious issues. There were some design changes in the transmission that are causing all kinds of havoc. I'm not really one to spread a rumor, but found it odd I'm not reading anything like that here. Anyone here something like that?

As someone who's considering a new Platinum this is worrying - but I guess that's what the warranty is for.

Any way you can parlay your experience into a 2017? (if Sync3 is important to you)

I'm actually considering all options including outright give back and wait for the new raptor or expedition.

I'm actually considering all options including outright give back and wait for the new raptor or expedition.

That is exactly what I would do..I am considering a Expedition or late model Navigator with a extended warranty.

So while I'm waiting, I dropped off a company truck at the same dealership. Noticed my exploder still in the air minus drivetrain parts. Don't know what they will do now, but i did hear that the 2016 sport and platinum are having serious issues. There were some design changes in the transmission that are causing all kinds of havoc. I'm not really one to spread a rumor, but found it odd I'm not reading anything like that here. Anyone here something like that?

Now this scares the hell out of me!! It took us FOREVER to finally pull the trigger on replacing our 2002 Explorer, which we replaced because I knew the trans was about to go. This new one better not be another time bomb! I knew I didn't want a transversely mounted motor and transaxle, but the wife said the Expeditions were too big. Little did she know that her Explorer is just as wide! I do like the size and looks of the Ex Sport better and it does drive nice, regardless of being transversely mounted since it throws power to the rear wheels quickly during acceleration. Not too much torque steer. It handles well for such a big vehicle too.

I was planning on running this thing down the drag strip on the 20th and then tune it and run it again. That is all the wife will let me do with her baby, but now I am afraid to. I guess I should do it while the warranty is good though. The tunes add a ton of torque, which is going to stress the trans a lot more.

Hopefully the new issues you speak of are infant failures and if they last 3k then they'll go forever. I am crossing my fingers now!!

When does your GT350 come in? So jealous!!!

Well, mine blew up at 7k miles.

I got the allocation, but Ford hasnt called it in yet, so still waiting. One reason why Im trying not to stir the pot here, because there are many different things that will be affected if I start burning bridges. I have not once raised my voice or made this unpleasant. (Very hard for me)

Were there any signs at all that something wasn't right before it broke? I read in one of your messages where Ford said that they thought the converter went first. Did it ever slip or shudder or have harsh engagement?

I've read about the PTU issues affecting previous MY and MY16 also, but a complete transmission faliure...wow!!!

DubbsFaris,

I'm glad things are finally moving along for you on this issue. Thanks again for keeping us all updated. I have not had any issues to date, but then again I only have 3k miles...

Were there any signs at all that something wasn't right before it broke? I read in one of your messages where Ford said that they thought the converter went first. Did it ever slip or shudder or have harsh engagement?

So, I had three instances where something happened. I had 2 times when I was driving at highway speed and went to make a pass and felt a "binding clunk" for lack of a better description. I took notice, but it didn't trigger a code or anything.

The third instance my wife was driving. She went to make a pass at highway speed as well, and this time the clunk was more severe. It triggered the engine light and the message merely stated to check owners manual. She drove the rest of the way home- about 20 miles, and when we got ready to leave later, I wanted to see if it was a fluke, or still had a problem, and we loaded up and the check engine light was no longer lit when I started it, so we drove off. I could now feel it was slipping a little and shifting into 3rd hard. I turned around and drove it home and we took the SHO out. The following morning I decided to try and drive it to the dealer. I should have had it towed. It made it about 10 more miles before it gave out.

The rest of the story starts at the beginning of the thread.

Thanks for the info. I hope everything turns out okay for you. This is making me nervous to race it, but my Stang is out of commission and I am going through withdrawals!

Btw- so Ford is getting the paperwork together, and they are giving me credit in full purchase price towards an equal or greater value vehicle. This means that the value of the broken one will be seen as a trade in towards the new one, so an almost zero tax burden, and title and license are a couple hundred bucks. I've picked out a Guard Platinum, with same options plus DVD headrests, so it will cost me a couple thousand more. But I gain 7k mileage, and this time I get black interior instead of that white I constantly fretted with a 6 yr old and 9 yr old. Fortunately, Ford is running 0% financing, so I should be a little better off. This process is expected to take a week or so.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Btw- so Ford is getting the paperwork together, and they are giving me credit in full purchase price towards an equal or greater value vehicle. This means that the value of the broken one will be seen as a trade in towards the new one, so an almost zero tax burden, and title and license are a couple hundred bucks. I've picked out a Guard Platinum, with same options plus DVD headrests, so it will cost me a couple thousand more. But I gain 7k mileage, and this time I get black interior instead of that white I constantly fretted with a 6 yr old and 9 yr old. Fortunately, Ford is running 0% financing, so I should be a little better off. This process is expected to take a week or so.

Sounds like its all worked out fine, for a change the manufacture is doing the right thing.:thumbsup:

Brian

Back