Went from a 2020 Platinum to a 2021. Surprised by all the changes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Went from a 2020 Platinum to a 2021. Surprised by all the changes

Lhymes

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Platinum
Long backstory story short, I had some issues with my 2020. Absolutely love the Explorer, so wanted to stick with a like-vehicle, so I ended up in a 2021 that was identically speced with the exception of the wheels being 21” vs 20” on my old ride.

I’m surprised with how many refinements had been made with what I assumed was a simple “refresh”.

The front seats are much more comfortable. They eliminated the plastic trim that the back of your shoe could easily catch on. They removed the rubber gasket on the door edges that I’ve had tearing issues with. I’ve found the road noise to be greatly reduced too. I’ve also noticed that in areas that had previously noticed paint wear, like where the limiting bracket (not sure the proper name) is bolted to the door is now in-set to protect it from the elements.

At times I question if automakers are listening to their user base, but I’m seriously surprised with how many improvements here-and-there have been made for a minor refresh.

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't see where there is an option for 22" wheels. The 2020 Platinum had 20" wheels as standard, the 21" wheels were optional. The 2021 shows the 21" wheels as standard now, no option for 22" wheels.
TBill

I don't see where there is an option for 22" wheels. The 2020 Platinum had 20" wheels as standard, the 21" wheels were optional. The 2021 shows the 21" wheels as standard now, no option for 22" wheels.
TBill
My bad I mean’t I now have 21” wheels. Had 20”.

Long backstory story short, I had some issues with my 2020. Absolutely love the Explorer, so wanted to stick with a like-vehicle, so I ended up in a 2021 that was identically speced with the exception of the wheels being 21” vs 20” on my old ride.

I’m surprised with how many refinements had been made with what I assumed was a simple “refresh”.

The front seats are much more comfortable. They eliminated the plastic trim that the back of your shoe could easily catch on. They removed the rubber gasket on the door edges that I’ve had tearing issues with. I’ve found the road noise to be greatly reduced too. I’ve also noticed that in areas that had previously noticed paint wear, like where the limiting bracket (not sure the proper name) is bolted to the door is now in-set to protect it from the elements.

At times I question if automakers are listening to their user base, but I’m seriously surprised with how many improvements here-and-there have been made for a minor refresh.

That's great! It really is amazing what year to year changes manufacturers sneak in without big press on it. And yes, they do listen to us! Most if not all major auto manufacturers employ people to browse forums, internet chat groups, facebook groups, etc. looking at problems, how people are using these vehicles, etc. Some forums even have a dedicated manufacturer rep that posts and helps people out! Pretty cool stuff.

.......................................... Some forums even have a dedicated manufacturer rep that posts and helps people out! Pretty cool stuff.
This forum had two dedicated Ford reps at one time including one for In-Vehicle Technology but apparently Ford pulled their reps from all forums about 3 years ago.

Peter

Back