Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I took a solo run into Oraflame Canyon today and the weather was perfect. Oraflame starts in the mountains just east of Julian, California, and ends up in the Anza Borrego State Park off of S-2. I went down Rodriguez Canyon.....
3817Oroflame_Cyn_3_.jpg

3817Oroflame_Cyn_8_.jpg

3817Oroflame_Cyn_7_.jpg

It was pretty easy, but had a few rocks and water crossings. Just perfect for a solo adventure. Oraflame is named after a mine in the area. The area was burned last year, but is blooming with new growth. The good part about a forest fire is it clears up all the brush and now you can get into all the trails up there that used to be totally overgrown.
Base of mountain in the state park....
3817Oroflame_Cyn_9_.jpg

3817Oroflame_Cyn_11_.jpg

Top of mountain...
3817Oroflame_Cyn_19_.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

very cleared out. When I was last in oroflame canyon it was so thick with bushes that we could hardly walk down it. by the time we got to the bottom we were covered in so many ticks. We started down off of I8 and buckman springs road. Then hiked up into the laguna mountains and then dropped down oroflame canyon to the desert. I was 13 my brother was 9. Here is all I have left from that trip :(

Attachments

• nails.jpg
    nails.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 387

All the old mines are accessable now that were covered in brush before the fires. I saw lots of old machinery that was not visible before. I only had a few hours to spend there and wanted to do some shooting, so I did not get to explore too much. Next time, I want to check out some of the old mine areas.

Looks great Brian. I love the Anza/Julian area. I've never actually done that trail but my dad and I used to go to Coyote Canyon all of the time. Here are a couple pictures of my dad's truck there.

1600Rover1.jpg

1600Rover2.jpg

1600Rover3.jpg

My Ex is in the background of this one

1600Rover_Todd.jpg

Is that when it went all the way through to Anza? That was one of the best trails in Southern California until they closed the upper 3/4 of the trail because they did not want to disturb the bighorn sheep.

No this is last October I think. I do remember going back there before they closed down the last part of the trail. Up the creek through the narrow trees. The "hard part" of the trail is not very hard anymore either. Made it up in my 2wd ranger with 32s and no locker.

That is too bad, at least the first few hundred yards used to be hard.

All the trails around Oraflame are pretty easy. You come out on S-2, south of SR-78. Sometimes I go that way down, then come back up Grapevine Canyon, which is just before Yaqui Pass off the 78, south or east of S-2. Its a nice scenic trip. You can hit the Sand Canyon area in between and make a day of it.

That would be cool for a one day trip. Its a easy family type trip though, nothing too hard.

Fenderguy said:
Just being out in the desert away from here every once in a while is good. My dad would love to do that.

That is exactly why I went out for the day, its amazing how relaxed you feel when you spend the day in the great outdoors. :cool:

you mean this is something i can actually do? I'd be up for a day trip. Lets get it going..

Gopher said:
you mean this is something i can actually do? I'd be up for a day trip. Lets get it going..
So far we can make it a white SUV trip only. We just need FAKRWEE, Ray Hutchinson and Felix.
wav.gif

Wait, what color is Bill's wife's Explorer? ;)

:afro: i wanna be brown..... :p the white truck thing is soo over rated

Gopher said:
:afro: i wanna be brown.....
I almost fell out of my chair when I read that, but then you won't be able to dance like this
party-smiley-048.gif
anymore.

Gopher said:
the white truck thing is soo over rated
That's why I painted mine grey.

I hate you . i had to sit at my desk all day :(

Fenderguy said:
Haha...I don't think I'd make your drive for it either.
smiley_abwn.gif

You guys are killin' me, please stop! :confused: :p

There used to be some white supremists that lived up there in the canyon, but the fire did us all a favor and burned them out. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When we gonna do this? LEts find a date

Back