were 02-05 offered in 2wd? not sport/trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

were 02-05 offered in 2wd? not sport/trac

pjtoledo

Reaction score
City, State
Toledo, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger
regular 4 door Explorers gen III, were they offered in 2wd? Mountaineers? Aviators?

I know the 2dr sports & sport trac were, but the front spindles are different on them.

planning a project, gathering info now.

thx Perry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorer, Mountaineer and Aviators were all offered in 2wd versions.

Thanks.
any idea what the difference is to make it 2wd?
looking at car-parts they don't list a 2wd knuckle specifically for the regular Explorer.
fordparts shows a diagram that has a 4wd bearing.
I'm wondering if the difference is merely installing a non-drive bearing & hub unit in the 4wd knuckle?
and of course deleting the front driveline.

edit: I think I found the answer, maybe.
NAPA lists a one piece disk/hub unit for the 2wd. part crosses to 01 sport trac.
that means the knuckle has a stub axle.
but,,, they don't differentiate between Explorer, Sport Trac, and Sport.
so I'm back at square 1, not knowing what an '02 2wd explorer front knuckle looks like.

Perry

The 2wd and 4wd models use the same front knuckles and bearings.

The 3rd gen 02-05 explorer/mountaineer has the same knuckle and bearings for 2wd and 4wd. The 2nd gen 95-01 explorer/mountaineer and the 01-05 sport trac have different knuckles and bearings between 2wd and 4wd. The 3rd gen 02-05 knuckle and bearing setup is similar to the 2nd gen 4wd setup. FYI the aviator has its own knuckle which allows for larger brakes. The knuckles are not interchangeable between 2nd and 3rd gen without serious modifications.

thank you and thank you.
that solves the mystery for me.

Back