Were 2 Get Clear Fog Light Lenses | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Were 2 Get Clear Fog Light Lenses

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So you want to know where to get clear fogs? Have you tried e-bay? I don't think anyone actually makes clear fogs for a 96, and putting HIDs in fog lights is dumb. Just go buy some yellow halogen bulbs or HID color halogen bulbs. HID bulb retrofits in non-HID housings just screams dumb and too poor to do it right. Plus, they make too much light to be useable.

Honestly, you probably should put yellow bulbs in if you want something that looks a little different. I think you will like it when you are done.

here.... while I was responding, I found these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pilo...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

but I still wouldn't put HID bulbs in them. Use yellow bulbs or simulated HID color halogens.

:thumbsup:^^What he said.^^

I put a set of DDM 3000K 35W's in depo repro's on my friends 97 XLT. They have some amazing light output and a very nice cutoff, I was impressed to say the least :thumbsup:

With halogen bulbs, they didn't do crap....

Here's with the HIDs

ec91671c.jpg

Low beam only

82910265.jpg

Low beam with fogs

5155694f.jpg

89a16bae.jpg

Fogs aren't supposed to make a bunch of light..... If they did, they would blind you when they are reflected off the.... fog.

besides, look at your low beam with fogs pic. LOOK AT ALL THAT LIGHT above your low beam. That is what is called glare and is what makes other drivers want to beat you with a tire iron. You are casting light up to the second floor of that house behind the wall even.... I mean sure, close up, your main blob of light looks like it has a good cut off..... but no, that is not the case at all once you move more than 5 feet away.

FOG Lights are supposed to be Yellow.
Driving Lights are supposed to be White.

FOG Lights are supposed to be Yellow.
Driving Lights are supposed to be White.

incorrect. Fog lights MAY be yellow, and some people prefer yellow fogs. White is perfectly acceptable for fogs, and there are a large number of people (engineers included) who believe yellow is not superior in bad weather conditions, and that regular old 4500k white is the best for ANY driving situation with reduced visibility or darkness.

Personally, I prefer yellow, and everything I know about optics and vision leads me to believe Yellow is a superior color for fogs, but then again, I am not an expert on the science of sight, so my hunch in this case isn't worth that much.

besides, look at your low beam with fogs pic. LOOK AT ALL THAT LIGHT above your low beam. .

I was thinking the same thing. The yellow light should not be that high up.

5155694f.jpg

Those HID fogs are scattering light all over the place. They may have a cutoff line but it is way too high. Those must get the owner flashed often.
If your gonna put HID in fog lights Please Aim the Suckers!!!

Since my wife likes the yellow fogs (& I like white) I did a bunch of research on white vs yellow. seems that the only time yellow is better is in a snow storm. Otherwise, white or yellow is the same for fog. Living in MI we have yellow.
The differernce is that the yellow color is not as bright. (lumens) So I run a 100W bulb in the fogs to get the same illumination as a white bulb would do. Properly aimed, never flashed, of course.....

So I run a 100W bulb in the fogs to get the same illumination as a white bulb would do. Properly aimed, never flashed, of course.....
Any problems with melting stuff with the 100w bulbs?

Any problems with melting stuff with the 100w bulbs?

No problems. Although I am using Catz fog lights not the OEMs.
With out a doubt...The best fog lights I have found.. Catz MSR. Next best (slim) MSX.

These are used with a harnes and relay activated bythe oem switch.

Attachments

• catz msr.jpg
    catz msr.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 479

Those HID fogs are scattering light all over the place. They may have a cutoff line but it is way too high. Those must get the owner flashed often.

I drove this truck for a month and I never got flashed in it, they are not blinding at all on the road, but I did aim them down a smidge.

I thought explorerforum was all about blotchy PnP kits with 90,000K bulbs :p:

Back