Westin Brush/Grill Guard install on gen 1 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Westin Brush/Grill Guard install on gen 1 explorer

n8ron

Reaction score
City, State
Denver
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
I'm looking for any info/pics of what the brackets that mount to the frame on a Westin grill guard look like. I bought a grill guard on Craigslist w/o any brackets. I can make my own brackets, no problem, but before I do so I wanted to try and find out what the actual brackets look like just so I'm not going back and forth trying to make some fit. If anyone out there as any pics on any first gen brush/grill guard brackets installed or not I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Don't have pics, but the ones I had on a old X I had were basically flat L shaped. They bolted to the bottom of the guard, went under the front bumper & then back around to the frame rails. They laid flat against the frame rails & then you drilled 1 or 2 holes using the bracket as a template into the frame rails & secured it with 2 more bolts.

Thanks for the info Jason. Do you remember if the brackets sat flush with the bottom of the closed frame or did they stand off below a few inches?

They laid flat against the side. I had a few different guards, but they basically bolted in the same way. Some had 2 connection points, on the side & the bottom. But they all laid flat against the frame rails.

I had a shop weld the brackets in place as well.

Back