Wet A/C dryer when hot

Piotr Piech

Reaction score
City, State
Rzeszów
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 4.0 SOHC Explorer
Hi,

I have just done the A/C service, checked and added R134a (30 OZ) and oil, and additionally changed thenew dryer to make sure everything works like it should. The cooling is awesome, the system works nicein A/C position as well as in other positions wheb the blower motor is on. The only thing that makes me feel unsure is water dripping from the dryer, down on the road. Especially shen stopped, there is alot of water under the car. After 20 min ridewith AC on the dryer looks like on the attached pics.

is it ok ? Should it be so wet when the outside temp is around 25 C / 77 F ? Cant figure it out ...

Attachments

• P_20200616_151037.jpg
    P_20200616_151037.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 93
  • P_20200616_151037.jpg
    P_20200616_151037.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 89

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Condensation is normal on the outside of the dryer and some of the pipes leading to it. It is just like a glass of ice water collecting condensation on the the outside of the glass. The water will always drip off to the ground, it is just more noticeable when stopped because it will pool up. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Perfectly normal. Ever have a cold glass outside on a hot humid day? It sweats. So does your A/C system.

Perfectly normal. Ever have a cold glass outside on a hot humid day? It sweats. So does your A/C system.

Swetting on a hot day is absolutely normal ;) I just could not belive it is so much water in here. It pours a streamlet right when stopped. In none of my cars have ever seen so much ... but the truth is, the Ford`s A/C system seems to be very efficient by the way.

Thanks for help!
Piotr

Many newer vehicles now have insulation around to reduce losses in the system.

Many newer vehicles now have insulation around to reduce losses in the system.

If you're talking about the accumulator/drier, Ford tried that a few years back. It turned out that the insulating foam they put on the drier held moister and eventually caused the driers to rot out.

I would guess that if you run your A/C system on recirculate/Max you might see less water coming out of the evaporator drain as there should be less moister in the interior air. If you live in a humid area and keep drawing "fresh" humid air into the interior the evaporator will continue to allow more water to condense. In any event, it's nothing to be concerned about.

Good sweat like that means the system is in great shape.

Also depends on the humidity outside, too.

If you're talking about the accumulator/drier, Ford tried that a few years back. It turned out that the insulating foam they put on the drier held moister and eventually caused the driers to rot out.

I would guess that if you run your A/C system on recirculate/Max you might see less water coming out of the evaporator drain as there should be less moister in the interior air. If you live in a humid area and keep drawing "fresh" humid air into the interior the evaporator will continue to allow more water to condense. In any event, it's nothing to be concerned about.

Mine did the same thing. Had a hole in it the size of a silver dollar. Couldn't figure out why it was losing freon until I took the dryer off and removed the foam insulation. Problem solved by installing a new dryer and new seals.

Thanks for help guys! Will leave it as it is and works great ;) hope it does not change too fast ...

Back