What’s the name of this part | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What’s the name of this part

Attachments

• 678B3DCB-3CE5-490A-A07A-0690DE75B0FF.png
    678B3DCB-3CE5-490A-A07A-0690DE75B0FF.png
    392.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 7514DFF6-5511-4E0A-9B26-132615B7B157.png
    7514DFF6-5511-4E0A-9B26-132615B7B157.png
    276.3 KB · Views: 92

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@intheric, that DPFE is not OEM. No printing on the back.

I have three new OEM DPFE units. PM me if interested...

Just back from picking up my truck after having the cat tail pipe and muffler changed, and giving it a much needed tune up.

with the cat being clogged up, the guy pointed something he noticed while changing the plugs. There’s this box with 2 wires, and one of them was burnt out. He said it’s to regulate the temp or something. It was hella windy here and started to storm. I got a picture of it. I went to the local parts shop and the guy didn’t know what it was or couldn’t find it.

any guesses?? Thanks!!
EGR Pressure Feedback sensor.

Damn. The price range of these things Is crazy. I looked at a few places to see if it’s local. Advanced Auto wants 91 bucks for this. Even rock auto wants 61.

guess I gotta make myself an eBay account now.
Believe me you'll find them way cheaper on ebay and you can find the OEM Ford replacement a lot more reasonable there!

No need to buy a new one. JB Weld it back together. Both nipples broke off of mine; it's been JB'ed together for several years now.

Read this thread & had a "deja vu" moment, so looked back thru my maintenance notes; found it in 2013.
Both the DifferentialPressureFlowElement\DPFE and the ThrottlePositionSensor\TPS failed same time on 2001 ExST.
Strangely caused transmission to not shift above 2nd; 20miles from home, thought I had a much bigger problem!
Got home in 2nd gear, had several OBD2 fault codes
P0401=ExRecirc.Flow=Lo\BAD!
P1121=MassAir.Flow+Throttle.Position=Eractic\BAD!
P0113=IntakeAir.Temp=Hi\BAD!
P0102=MassAir.Flow=Lo\BAD!
P1120=Throttl.Pos=OutOfRange\BAD!

After reading & testing, found MAF was good, but both DPFE & TPS were bad.
Original DPFE was Ford#yf1e-9j460-ad, found new OEM on Amazon for $19 (2013).
Old PinC tested 1.8v=OutOfRange, new tested 0.8~1.2v=Good.
Original TPS was Ford#f5rf-9b989-ba, found new OEM on Amazon for $13 (2013).
Old PinA~PinB tested 400~4200ohm Eractic; new tested 280~3230ohm Steady.
Old PinA~PinC tested ~4300ohm Eractic, new tested 3360ohm Steady.
Old PinB~PinC tested 316~190ohm Eractic, new tested 3270~300ohm Steady.
Of course had to reset the OBD2 errors & CEL. No transmission problem!
Hope this helps.
D
Thanks. It makes some sense. Reminds me of the notes my dad kept with his old mustang.

this was pointed out to me when the guy was doing a tuneup. He noticed one of the tubes had melted out, which he said was a result of the cat converter being backed up (it was on the truck a little longer then it should 😬 ). The actual sensor looks bad itself because of that and with a tube missing and not sure how the truck will run with out it working correctly, I’m not driving it but to the front yard to wash it and back to the back yard.

ive had a guy tell me “oh. It’s just for emissions“ and act like I don’t need to replace it. But knowing my luck and do nothing, I’ll be up the creek and eff the truck up.

Likely not legal in all states, but I've gotten in the habit of spraying some carb cleaner down the DPFE riser tube once a year or so,
or when I've changed the O2 sensors, then drive for a few minutes, thinking it may help clear muck out of the cats.
Not a recommendation, just one of several quircky things I do to my vehicle.

Good to know.

When I get the new part it’s pretty much unbolt the old one, mount the new one and replace the tubes. Nothing else? The guy who did the tune up said to bring it back in and he could do it quicky. But why not save a few bucks and learn something along the way too

Just back from picking up my truck after having the cat tail pipe and muffler changed, and giving it a much needed tune up.

with the cat being clogged up, the guy pointed something he noticed while changing the plugs. There’s this box with 2 wires, and one of them was burnt out. He said it’s to regulate the temp or something. It was hella windy here and started to storm. I got a picture of it. I went to the local parts shop and the guy didn’t know what it was or couldn’t find it.

any guesses?? Thanks!!
Isn’t that a Flux capacitor

Isn’t that a Flux capacitor

being over fifty years old, I looked that up....

flux capacitor refers to a fictional a piece of technology that allows time travel in the popular science-fiction film series Back to the Future.

haha

Original DPFE was Ford#yf1e-9j460-ad, found new OEM on Amazon for $19 (2013).
Old PinC tested 1.8v=OutOfRange, new tested 0.8~1.2v=Good.
Ford changed the electrical specifications for the DPFE sometime around 2000. So the old 1.8V reading might have been as good as the new 0.8-1.2V. These things auto-calibrate as you drive and that base voltage doesn't mean much. The proper way to test a DPFE is to see how it responds to changing vacuum on one line, while the other is open to the atmosphere (don't remember which is which, but not too hard to figure out - the one going to the exhaust side of the EGR tube is supposed to have the higher pressure.)

any guesses?? Thanks!!

any guesses?? Thanks!!
If it's in the exhaust line. Exhaust gas temp sensor.​

I would suggest you tie the old tube back so it doesn't burn a hole in the intake or anything else (wires, connectors...) until you fix it. Like it was said before, it carries hot gases. Almost happened to me.

any guesses?? Thanks!!
It's the DPFE, it is part of your EGR system

I would suggest you tie the old tube back so it doesn't burn a hole in the intake or anything else (wires, connectors...) until you fix it. Like it was said before, it carries hot gases. Almost happened to me.
I didn’t drive it with the tube missing. Didn’t know what really went through it and didn’t want whatever it was all over the engine

Back