What about oil if sitting on dealer's lot for 7 months? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What about oil if sitting on dealer's lot for 7 months?

leon16

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
My x is made on November '12.
I bought it on may, last month.
The oil inside the new car was put in in factory 7 months ago.
I understand Ford manual recommend 6 months oil change.
My dealer refuses to change oil.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drive 500 miles, change it. It'll be fine, you should change it soon regardless.

Read the break in section in your owners manual. Your dealer is right.

Read the break in section in your owners manual. Your dealer is right.

Ford Korea recommend 6 months or 8000km change, whichever come first..:)

That s 6 months in use. Sitting on the lot just means the oil is about new!

Ford Korea recommend 7 months or 8000km change, whichever come first..:)
I follow that same oil change interval. As Dr Plastic said, the 6 month period sitting on the lot doesn't actually count. No need to change it although I'd be hoping that the vehicle had been started from time to time during that period.

Peter

I follow that same oil change interval. As Dr Plastic said, the 6 month period sitting on the lot doesn't actually count. No need to change it although I'd be hoping that the vehicle had been started from time to time during that period.

Peter

I understand once oil is opened and in contact with air, it degrade.
So 6 months change regardless how less or more it's driven.

My x is made on November '12.
I bought it on may, last month.
The oil inside the new car was put in in factory 7 months ago.
I understand Ford manual recommend 6 months oil change.
My dealer refuses to change oil.

You're fine. Don't stress about it. If you want, change the oil early, and switch to a full synthetic after you do about 500-1,000 miles.

Next time you buy a new vehicle, and are concerned about "7 month old oil" negiotiate the oil change into the purchase, not after. That's when you have most leverage, not after the paperwork is signed.

You're fine. Don't stress about it. If you want, change the oil early, and switch to a full synthetic after you do about 500-1,000 miles.

Next time you buy a new vehicle, and are concerned about "7 month old oil" negiotiate the oil change into the purchase, not after. That's when you have most leverage, not after the paperwork is signed.

This.

Also, if the cost of the oil change is causing this much problems with the dealer go find a new place to have work done or better yet change it yourself and be satisfied knowing it was done right.

I went to WalMart today to buy some oil as a Father's Day gift. I was very upset, since all the oil on the shelf was millions of years old.:)

HAPPY FATHERS's DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand once oil is opened and in contact with air, it degrade.
So 6 months change regardless how less or more it's driven.
Well I learned something new today. I guess it was worthwhile getting up this morning.:thumbsup:

http://www.off-road-outdoors.com/Oil-breakdown.html

As mentioned, if I was that concerned about it, I would have asked to have the oil change done prior to my agreement to purchase. In any case, I think you will be fine with it as is and as Bill #4 Explorer said, you can always have it changed when you want if it will give you greater peace of mind.
You can get the synthetic type or some of that million year old stuff he found at Walmart. :D

Peter

I went to WalMart today to buy some oil as a Father's Day gift. I was very upset, since all the oil on the shelf was millions of years old.:)

HAPPY FATHERS's DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know unopened oil even don't have an expiration date!!
I know that much...

If the dealer won't spend $10 of it's own money to unload a vehicle that has been on their lot for that long, find another dealer. Imagine how great they'll be to work with when you actually have a real problem.

...The oil inside the new car was put in in factory 7 months ago...I understand Ford manual recommend 6 months oil change...
leon16,

The following is from page 418 of the 2013MY Explorer Owner Guide 4th Printing in the “Protecting Your Investment” section:

“If your information display is prematurely reset or becomes inoperative, you should perform the oil change interval at six months or 5000 miles (8000 kilometers) from your last oil change. Never exceed one year or 10000 miles (16000 kilometers) between oil change intervals."

Also, there’s never any harm with changing it sooner if you want to.

To download a free copy of your Owner Guide, go here:

http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

Cory

I would worrie more about the tires...! And buy from another dealer...!

Well oil doesn't wear unless if gasoline and heat has been mixed into it. Then slowly over time, the gasoline mixing into the oil makes the oil a bit acidic which is what causes problems. Just change it at 1,000 miles. Use the old break in oil change method.

Back