what aftermarket extended warranty to buy? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what aftermarket extended warranty to buy?

rama1200

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer xls
I bought my truck from enterprise; it came with a 94k mi warranty which is about to expire... in 1000 miles... I was thinking that eventhough I can do most of the work/repairs myself, there are some that labor or parts might be better/cheaper under the extended warranty... I was wondering if any one knows of a good program that you can purchase?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought from Phoenix American out of Miami
$1900 for 4 yr 48k miles
Its paid for its self already really in only 2 yrs
- front pump seal on the trans - $750
- Blend door - $750
- Power window motor - $140
- gear selector cable - $400

plus its transferable if I sell it.. which I don't see happening.

First, you need to weigh the actual cost of purchasing the extended warranty against expected costs you can't fix to determine which is better. If you knew the rear end was gonna go at 97,000 then it would be worthwhile - but what if nothing goes out before your origional + extended warranty expires? Keep the truck long enough and things will need replacing. Either way, research the companies before you pick one if you decide to get an extended warranty.

Yep, be VERY careful.

I would NEVER use any of the aftermarket warrantys that come in the mail like spam!

Theres TONS of scam companies that offer warrantees....so be careful!

Usually they arent worth it...but for some people they might be.

I never got one with my 04 mounty, which had only 12k miles on it when i bought it.
Im up to 30k now and never had a hitch wrong with it yet.

Bad thing is most only cover to 100K so make sure they will do more

Also if you get it make sure you have all your oil changes and maintnance done on time by a certified shop or they will void your warranty. When I was at the dealership getting my trans done under warranty there was a guy with an expedition that had an aftermarket warranty and he was a couple hundred miles over for his oil change and the warranty company wouldnt cover a time(if I remember right he was getting a transmission too). The tech said the after market companies are notorious for finding any loop hole to get out of paying, of course any warranty is like this but he said the aftermarket companys are much more strict, especially with higher mileage vehicles.

This is what I got http://www.usfidelis.com/ .. will cover upto 188k mi... most major parts.... engine, electrical, trans, etc.

150.00 downpaymnt and 117 monthly for 24 months.... total about 2500.00.... I can keep my truck for ever and not have to worry about a thing (cross my fingers)....

has any one heard of this one?

dont buy the extention

dont buy the extention

Why not, when i bought mine at a dealership they offered me an aftermarket warranty i ended up getting the best option 1700 dollars 3 years 75,000 miles free retal car all the time, and i have used plenty of times lately and saved about 200 dollars.

IMHO you cant go wrong with one, expecially with these trannys, and what not

I bought the ford extended warranty for $1300 and within 5 months(3,000 miles) my Ex was in the shop getting a new transmission. Ended up costing close to $4,000 plus I got a free rental car for the week. If I wouldn't have bought the warranty my truck would be up for sale because I wouldnt have the money to replace the transmission. Needless to say I am very glad I bought the warranty.

Can I buy an extended warranty from ford if I didnt buy my truck from ford?

Back