• Register Today It's free!

What amp for 10" mtx sub

terestron

Reaction score
City, State
Island Lake, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
I just bought a 10" MTX sub with enclosure to put in the rear corner of my 98 explorer xlt. I will be using the existing factory head unit and speakers. question is what amp should i get for it? any suggestions?

thnx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depends on which sub it is. MTX makes quite a different scale of subs for 10". Your RMS wattage might be anything from 500W to 100W. It all depends which model of them it is.

If you got the MTX Thunderform you have the 4500 level subwoofer. If this is the case, they go up to 225W RMS. THat means you have quite the variety of amps you could pick from. If you plan on stuffing it where the stock amp should be, MTX makes some teeny tiny amps.

But you definately need speaker level inputs since you're not getting a new head unit.

yes it is the 4500 level subwoofer (T4510-04)...i was thinking of getting the MTX thunder 282 since MTX reccomends that as a match. I am planning on installing the amp under the passenger seat (i have a four door).

well in that case you can save a lot of money by getting something on ebay. Anything that's got 200-250W RMS and speaker level inputs would work. If you're not into the ebay thing, Profile makes some nice amps that Crutchfield sells with a 2 year warranty.

I looked on eBay and they kill you with shipping or it is used and i dont want to take a chance. Although that is where i did but the mtx thunderform. I ended up buying a Infinity Reference 7520a from cardomain.com with a streetwire amp kit. my only question now is should i use the high level inputs on the amp or buy a high to low level converter?

BTW...the 7520a is rated Bridged RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 283W x 1

Just use the speaker level inputs, and don't forget to set the built in low pass filter right(it should have one, it's Infinity and should be pretty good).

ok thanx for your help..i should recieve items by next week so i will follow up here and let you know how it went....

I installed my MTX thunderform 10" sub and it was quite easy. I spent the $11 for the trim removal tool and it made the job a snap and no broken pcs. took an hour to install the sub. I then installed the amp, a Infinity reference 7520a (with a StreetWires power cable kit). unfortunatly it is too big to go under the rear seats and too large to go next to the sub behind the panel so i had to lay it on the floor behind the seat but that is ok...

This sub thumps! and no rattle from the trim..i am impressed...OK, this may not ride with the serious audiophiles out there but for me i get a nice clean, crisp punch. My rap, country, and rock sond 200% better... I highly reccomend the combo.... :thumbsup:

I installed my MTX thunderform 10" sub and it was quite easy. I spent the $11 for the trim removal tool and it made the job a snap and no broken pcs. took an hour to install the sub. I then installed the amp, a Infinity reference 7520a (with a StreetWires power cable kit). unfortunatly it is too big to go under the rear seats and too large to go next to the sub behind the panel so i had to lay it on the floor behind the seat but that is ok...

This sub thumps! and no rattle from the trim..i am impressed...OK, this may not ride with the serious audiophiles out there but for me i get a nice clean, crisp punch. My rap, country, and rock sond 200% better... I highly reccomend the combo.... :thumbsup:

BTW..I bought the amp from CarDomain.com and bought the thunderform from HiFi Sound Connection on eBay...both were good transactions..

Back