• Register Today It's free!

WHat Amp

94ExplorerSS

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
94, no mods
hey i will be running one pioneer 12'' sub rated at 500 watt max in the biggest box i can put it in. I kno its not gonna be that great, but it will be a start till i get enough money to buy a better sub. I just want to know if i can get the jbl 600.1 mono sub amp to power it if i turn the gains down. Do you tyhink ill be fine with that? THanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'd better not be putting that 303F into a box. It's a free air sub!

The 600.1 will work fine, but I'm willing to bet you'll blow the sub. The 600.1 really probably puts out 700 wrms, and the sub can only handle 250wrms, I bet you'll push it too hard, but hey, go for it, you'll only blow up a cracked sub.

wut do u mean dont put it in a box. WHat free air mean

Whew.

You'd better educate yourself before you attempt this install. Check out Pioneer's website, and JL Audio has some good info, too. Look up the specs for that sub on Pioneer's website, it's a free air, meaning you shouldn't put it in a box, it wasn't enginnered for a box. Feel free to IM me at greenman100 if you have any questions. There are alternatives to JL Audio, cheaper, and just as good. I run a US Acoustics 800D amp, it's about 750 wrms, and $230 on thezeb.com, shipped. It's really good, comes with a remote gain and subsonic filter, and is a class D amp, very efficent, meaning you shouldn't have much light dimming. Good luck.

The US Acoustics are very good amps. I have a 10" pioneer in a sealed box. Sounds good to me.

RiverRat: The US Acoustics are very good amps. Not all pioneer subs are free air? I have a 10" in a sealed box.

He said in another post that he was repairing a Pioneer 303F. I'm assuming they are the same sub. The 303F is a free air.

Here's the specs on that Pioneer sub. Dead Link Removed It says 160 Watts Nominal power handling, so that JBL 600.1 would kill that sub.

i couldnt find anything about wut free air on there site meant. SO are you saying basically that u just dont put it in a box and leave it of the floor of ur car? Would that souind like poop?

If i put it in a box would it hurt it or smething. WHats the cheapest amp i could get to power that sub.

Should i get the lanzar 1200 watt amp rated at 400 watts at 4ohms? I really dont get the whole ohms thing, someone just needs to pick out an amp for me to get i think.

Originally posted by 94ExplorerSS
i couldnt find anything about wut free air on there site meant. SO are you saying basically that u just dont put it in a box and leave it of the floor of ur car? Would that souind like poop?

If i put it in a box would it hurt it or smething. WHats the cheapest amp i could get to power that sub.

A free air sub is designed to operate in just that, free air. Most other subs are designed to operate in an enclosure. If you want the best results go with what the manufacturer recommends. Most people dont leave them on the floor they build kind of like a reverse box. Basically its like a box with the subs mounted on the outside, so the magnet is facing out instead of in.

Something with 200 watts RMS at the ohm load of the voice coil.

Back