what and where to find a 6 gear planetary | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what and where to find a 6 gear planetary

Wills05xlt4x4

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ashland Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Xlt 4x4
6705078417_2cf9920714.jpg

IMAG0300 by billyssingle, on Flickr
This is my bw4411.... From extensive research I have found this is the same planetary as a bw1354(maybe more) and clutch is from a 4405.....
I have read that some tcases(1350/1354) came with 6 gears on planetary...(first gen I could steal planetary from)
I intend on beefing this 4411up and slice and dice another to make a doubler...
Shouldn't be too hard but will definitely be one off

What models specificly came with the better 6 gear planetary or is it luck of the draw?

Also I'm assuming those gears are helical not straight cut...

Thanks in advance for the help guys... If I can get these planetarys I may even do a how to thread on making a doubler to mate with a 5r55...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the fast reply...
That's where I matched up part numbers between models..and reds has a pdf of almost every case made I printed for reference...
I haven't called yet looks like you have to call for those parts...
I have a junk yard just up the street I can get major discounts(friend works there) thought it'd be a cheaper route...

I have one from a 4405. If its the same, $30 will get it to your door.

0131121248.jpg

I have one from a 4405. If its the same, $30 will get it to your door.

0131121248.jpg

Sounds good to me ill double check that they are the same... I also need the ring gear and my "broken" xcase will be ready for new seals+bearings etc... Nice to have a extra especially since the 05 4411 is specific to a 05...

The extra case 4411 will be cut and made into a doubler...
It'll take some fab work but doesn't appear to be much after some machining

Confirmed...the part # for all these models is TC1354-180R

Thanks to a&reds amazing tech info

http://www.areds.com/

according to their specs it came in the following models
1350(4 or 6),1354,4405,4411( calls for 6 mine had 4)

In my original bw4411( the one in repair) somehow the snap ring that holds ring gear in place somehow snagged a gear(only logical explanation) and popped out thus letting the ring gear fall out of place(damaging it and planetary)(damage was just gears grinding/chipping as it came totally out of place) that appears to be only damage. I did drive it home and when I opened xcase those parts were lose in the case...

What could be done to prevent this from happpening again or was it a friek accident never seen before???

Also they're are gears in the case supposedly for speed sensors(deleted in 05 models) so no sensor but they still put in the gears.. why?

The 13-50 never came with the 6 gear. Only 4. The 6 gear came out around 93 or so. The early 54s came with the same 4 gear as the 50s.

Is your set up for a 6 gear, but only has 4? Thats what it looks like in the pic. Thats a new one, but would make sense to me. The shift fork and high/low collar are different on the 6 gear as opposed to the early 4 gear. They havent made those parts in almost 20 years, why start again?

Let me see if I have a ring gear.

Replace the little plastic wear pads in the shift fork. Half the cases I've pulled apart, they were the cause of the problem. They like to break and not allow it to fully shift into gear.

The 13-50 never came with the 6 gear. Only 4. The 6 gear came out around 93 or so. The early 54s came with the same 4 gear as the 50s.

Is your set up for a 6 gear, but only has 4? Thats what it looks like in the pic. Thats a new one, but would make sense to me. The shift fork and high/low collar are different on the 6 gear as opposed to the early 4 gear. They havent made those parts in almost 20 years, why start again?

Let me see if I have a ring gear.

Replace the little plastic wear pads in the shift fork. Half the cases I've pulled apart, they were the cause of the problem. They like to break and not allow it to fully shift into gear.

The shift fork pads look fine (will replace as pm)
It is a 2005 so yes fairly new. The planetary is indeed a hexagon with four gears.. seems to be a weak link...this is how it came... The two gone are on opposing sides of the planetary so its most likely to work but be a fail point.. if I have to replace(I do) I would want the better of the two..(6 gear vs 4)

Thanks for your help man

Back