What are all the parts I need for replacing this | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are all the parts I need for replacing this

Juice0723

Reaction score
I need to replace the radius arms and all that under the transmission pan on my 94 explorer. Cause it's all twisted from offroading. Like the thing in the middle there is 4 bolts, I'm guessing that's a part of the radius arms as well? It's twisted straight across and I need to replace all of that. I'm looking to buy everything from rockauto.com

What do I need to replace all of it?

my guess is Radius Arm Brackets both sides. Radius Arm Bushing Frt Susp; Kit. guess it comes with both sides?. Is the Chassis Hardware / Bracket same as radious arm brackets? Radius Arm Heat Shield? Radius Arm Insulator?

I'm a noob to mechanics so just help me out haha.

U can just give me a list of part numbers I need. I'm going to go with all the best parts they have. So it looks like brand name Moog.

Anything else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is not normally something that can be tackled with inexperience. It's a pain to cut out the rivets and you probably don't have the tools. you might want to consider replacing everything with extended RAs from James Duff. Kinda spendy, but strong and come with everything you need for the conversion. Plus you will have better articulation.

I think but i do not know where is the page for a coupon for buy parts at rockauto.com

-:exp::exp:

A simple cut off wheel on a grinder will take care of the rivets just fine, As far as location of the radius arm nuts just measure from multiple points to get it nice and close.

I know this is a little older but - AIR HAMMER.

I fought and fought those rivets. They are hardened steel and the suggestion of drilling them out and tapping them out with a hammer just flat out doesn't work.

Take a grinder, grind the rivets down flush to the frame (make sure that absolutely none of the rivet head is still exposed) and then beat it with an air hammer (as straight on as possible; any angle will make it worse).

Just my two cents from having to take some of those brackets off from installing my lift. Hands down the rivets were the worst part of the entire process.

The easiest way to remove the rivets (and less damaging to your ears)
Use a cut off wheel and cut and X into the rivet head. then take a hammer and flat chisel, hold the chisel so the edge is riding flush with the frame and smack it with the hammer. It's faster and quieter than the methods listed above. You should still wear ear plugs though. Take if from a guy who hasn't heard silence in over 20 years.

Harbor freight has a 4" die grinder and cut off wheel kit for like $25. I have one I had to buy when I couldn't get into the shop for a weekend.I have to say that for the money it's a good unit. Even if you only use it this one time it's a good buy.

Back