What are the best power adders | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are the best power adders

If you want power from the 4.0, put it in a 1500lb car. If you're building the thing to drive off-road (the aforementioned 4" lift) then spend the money on gears.

I run 4.88's and 35's. I kinda wish they were 5.13's. Either way, I can light up the 35's like nothing at a light and the 4.0 is as stock as ever. Plenty of grunt for low range wheeling.

Remember, you're driving a 4000lb loaf of bread. Power is not the objective. If you want power for street fun, buy a different rig. . .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so i want 5.13's can my local off road shop do that and how much would i be spending thanks alot guys for all the great info

$750 will get you all the parts you need. 5.13 gears for both axle and rebuild kits for both axles. Labor can be anywhere from a couple hundred per axle to almost a grand per axle. . .depends. on the shop

I ran 4.88s and 33x12.50 and LOVED it.it was the power these trucks need.but on the highway at 70 it ran like it didnt have OD!i would rather pay to play than have no power!i run 36x14.50 now and it needs way more gear but i didnt want to go larger than 4.88 in a D 35. *5.13 would be perfect!

Let's revisit for a second....

Foust, I think you said you're installing a 4" kit?

What's tire size do you plan to run?

I ask, because we don't want you to end up with something that won't run the interstate if you need it too, or some other wrong choice based on your wants.... (for example, see jd's comment quoted above)

5.13's and 33" tires would be pretty low gearing.. but 33" tires and 4" lifts generally makes for lots of cutting steelmetal to keep tires from rubbing.

Just trying to get more info, to give better ideas.... :)

Ya, I forgot to ask what the point of your Ex is. . . and your plan for it.

I run a 5.5" lift and 35's. With 33's, I'd go with 4.56 gears if you plan to run on the highway at all.

My Ex is a dedicated wheeling rig, so I don't need interstate speed. That's why I wish I had 5.13's with my 35's. Right now, it's pretty much the same as stock with the 4.88's and 35's.

*EDIT - Re: jd4242's comment on not wanting to run 5.13's in a D35. . . I know the pinion get's stupid small at that ratio, but does anyone have any real world proof that they are weak? Has anyone actually broken one? Just curious.

well i am going to be running 32''s with the 4'' RC i want this thing for my DD and my weekend Off road/poker run truck

Just for reference.. if I recall rightly, 33's and 4.20 gears (if they made them) would be the same as a stock tire with 3.73's.

Many with 33's go with 4.56, which provides some extra grunt over 4.10's for example.

32's and 4.10 mathematically should be very close to 3.73's and stock tires.

With your choice of 32" tires, I would think that 4.56's would be awesome.. 4.88's would be better off-roading, but then the DD aspect is limited (high freeway RPM's/increased engine wear, and a MPG loss).

My vote (you know what they say about free advice lol).... 4.56?

what gears do i have now

what gears do i have now

Prob 3.27... that seems to be the most common ratio in a gen 1(that I have seen).

Another way to look is look at the rear diff for a tag (hopefully it's still there) thin piece of metal with a diff cover bolt holding it on. (Mine reads 3 27 88, Open diff 3.27 ratio and the obvious 8.8 rear) a limited slip rear would have an L between the numbers (3L27).

Well ordered my lift today form EMS offroad and they saved me 100 bucks right on

I currently run 32s (actual) with 4.56. It is too deep for highway driving. 70 MPH is 2900 RPM. In town it's pretty good. It's got plenty of grunt for darting in and out of tight traffic spots. It's good on the trail too. But I think the gears would be better with 33s or 34s.

2900 at 70 aint bad bad,your spedo right?.think i run about 2500ish at 70. I got 4.88s and 36ish tires i ran about at 3000ish with 4.88s and 33s.i say ish because i cant really remember exact.but again speed limit is only 55mph around here and i really try and keep it under 70. So for me i want that get up and go in town and trail,not high speed highway mileage

Ya, I forgot to ask what the point of your Ex is. . . and your plan for it.

I run a 5.5" lift and 35's. With 33's, I'd go with 4.56 gears if you plan to run on the highway at all.

My Ex is a dedicated wheeling rig, so I don't need interstate speed. That's why I wish I had 5.13's with my 35's. Right now, it's pretty much the same as stock with the 4.88's and 35's.

*EDIT - Re: jd4242's comment on not wanting to run 5.13's in a D35. . . I know the pinion get's stupid small at that ratio, but does anyone have any real world proof that they are weak? Has anyone actually broken one? Just curious.

Ive seen one but think it was in a ranger and he did more rock kind of off roading and think he ran a locker and 38s.im digging to try and find it.im with you though i wish i went 5.13 for my 36s!!:(

Speedo doesn't work at all, I use my GPS and my phone and droid app. Just did a little interstate trip last weekend.

the upgrades that surely put a smile on my face were gear rato, throttle body, and chip or the lowstage side......you want more power? supercharger.......with how rare they are for our rides these days don't worry about the style just the condition.....and a cam........Truthfully to me doing all the bolt ons didn't make a huge difference just made it sound better! And if your going to do a cam your gonna have to remove the heads anyways but try to get some kinda head work done on the heads....anything would beat stock.....

Droid!

:)

tweakedlogic.... you said you're running 32" (actual) tire size. What are they labelled please? IIRC most 33's are actually 32" when measured...

you want more power? supercharger
Not going to find a bolt on, or a chip. No support any longer. Would have to be custom.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back