What Are The Plans for Labor Day Weekend? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What Are The Plans for Labor Day Weekend?

Turdle

DIY stunt double
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
My lovely bride and I are kicking around the idear of doing some trails and trail camping with our dogs. More sight seeing than wheeling please. The plan is to head toward Fairplay and go from there. I'd really like to camp on Weston pass (from what I hear) and try going over Mosquito if it is doable.

I'm clueless as to the conditions though as what I read are opinions. We could tag along on better plans if any exist. I would like to go no further west than that though.

The Mt evans--Breckenridge area looks nice too. Maybe we should head that way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can point yall in the direction of some really cool mild hiking but spectacular viewing areas, with some good camping. Anything from easy drive in to mild wheeling. Let me know a little more specifically what your plans are, and I'd be happy to recommend a few spots.

No real plans, I was just looking at the area between Montezuma and Fairplay. Some streams with beaver dams would be nice for a bit of fishing, a trail or 2, eating dried food and such. :D We'll have a couple days to fool around.

51zE8CP9bfL._SX270_.jpg

4wdbooks.com

I am referring to this book, I guess we'll try going over Mosquito, then head up to Georgetown - Montezuma area.

That's getting close to my area...you can't come that far and not come by and say hello...

We've made lots of changes to Lil' Red since the last time I saw you guys.

Is no one planning a CCR this year?

It's our 10 year anniversary this year, so I'm not sure what we're doing. We had some plans to go to Gunnison camping w/o kidz, but that may change.

We've been tearing it up around Homestake Resivoir this year, but I heard they were draining it down to do repairs to the dam.

Well, after studing we decided to camp on Weston pass. I gotta say this is a great place to schedule a meet, as camp sites are very numerous. The weston pass CG has an exepcionally sweet spot ( number 11) with parking for 2 vehicles, however the site extends about 150 yards back to 2 other sub sites. Combine it with the 2 neighboring sites to the north, and the one to the south and it is perfect.
So we loaded up the truck with tools and parts

048.jpg

took the dogs
019.jpg

and headed out to Fairplay Colorado.

Sheri's employer and his wife drove up in their rav 4 to meet us there, and being a chef her company was more than welcome. even thru this

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327729

They were true sports. ( these guys turned us on to the Ouray area a few years ago, and have been known to come into town off an unopened back trail, once doing black bear at night backwards for lack of knowing where they were. They just point and drive, then trade em in)
ok pictures of campground

028.jpg

what's wrong with this thing?
031.jpg

029.jpg

again scratching head

032.jpg

The friends
030.jpg

more campground

027.jpg

026.jpg

025.jpg

027.jpg

even if the campground fills up, there is about 10 miles of beaver dams lots and lots of camp sites right along the trail
020.jpg

013.jpg

021.jpg

pics along the pass

023.jpg

012.jpg

011.jpg

010.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

005.jpg

Down in Buena Vista there was a deer munching someone's front yard

038.jpg

I love that town. Sheri and I would like to move there.

Although it wasn't a perfect trip, I am still glad to have had the experience . We still had some good times of course.

I broke a stupid shock mount, it finally let loose about Garden city Kansas, and we just drove on home like this. I will re do the mounts this week.

047.jpg

also tucked a fender flare under the tire and chukked it

024.jpg

Glad you had someone out there with you guys. :)

Glad you made it back with but a couple simple fix's :)

Glad you guys got to get away from the rat race as well. :)

Most of all...I am glad you brought the cool temps back with you! :D

Looks like you had a good time! The wife and I went 4 wheelin' here in Nevada, up to some old iron mines.

Back