What are the specs of my factory stereo and looking for a wiring diagram | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are the specs of my factory stereo and looking for a wiring diagram

Taxhero

Reaction score
City, State
Hoisington, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer Sport
My 2002 Explorer sport has the stock unit with the single cd and cassette player. I’m wondering what the wattage output is. I’m also looking for a wire diagram for it because I have an old school fosgate 800a2 and a sub I’m thinking about adding onto it, and possibly switching out the unit in the future

the base model is 6Wx4 so 24w total. premium systems are 4x20, for an 80w total output. have you got the base or prem system, any pics of it? however, the base model isnt fit to power a sub iirc, and the premium model can be used for upgrades. however, i never figured out how to upgrade it, but i know there is low level indication in there somewhere. the way I went was with a ford MACH audio headunit, which if you have the premium stock will plug in. when you get the HU, get all the wiring for the connector for the sub, and also the connector on the amp side, and then fill in all the wiring between. then modify the amp connector as needed for your RF. plug in and enjoy! if i missed something, let me know!!! I had a prem system stock, and now have a MACH hu (i was lucky enough to find a NEW mach HU in 2022!!!)with the factory amp/enclosure and a kicker sub, so let me know if you ave any questions about this, its still fresh in memory!. the mach hu lowers bass to the door speakers to reduce distortion, and is 4x15 to the doors, and 85w to the sub, for a total of 145 RMS, and 290 peak. hope some of this helped!!! imo it isnt worth the hassle to convert a prem to put out sub signal, when mach HUs are readily available at JYs when you get the wiring for it. the prem does technically put out some signal i found, but its extremely weak and distorted, sounds more like interference/bleed than an actual signal. also, for nice audio, i installed sound deadening same time, and also if you use the stock enclusore (not sure you can on a 2dr) stuff it with some fiber, fattens it up a bit! let me know if any questions arise! :D

2003%20Ford%20Explorer%20Premium%20Radio%20Wiring.png

Back