What % are the windows tinted on a 97 XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What % are the windows tinted on a 97 XLT?

MattStarr

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
St Petersburg, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' EB Expedition
Hi all. I want to tint the front 2 windows on my 97 XLT. Here in VA we can tint them to the extent that 35% of the visible light must be transmitted through. I want to know what % the explorer is tinted stock. How close would the "mirror" tint match even if the % didnt match up? Thanks.

PS..... does anyone have pics of the front 2 windows tinted? I have seen pictures of X's tinted with the wront color and it really looks bad. If someone could please tell me how to go about tinting them so they look exactly like the factory tint color...... I want everything to be perfect, call me ****, but i like everything to look good!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you happen to have the gold ting on yours. the best tint that matches the back is 20%. i have some pics of my old 96 eddie bauer with 5% all around. Ill ahve to dig around for them. I have 20 % on my front two on my 00 xlt now. Ill be taking the 20% off my front, and doing 5 % all around when i go home prob.

Some people have dont a goldish tint that somewhat resembles the rear gold tint, however, i dont think anyone has gotten the exact color tint to match it perfectly. good luck

And by the way.. do a search.. this has been discussed before

But 20% is illegal here..... do you think the cops would give me a hard time?

Probably not, roll your windows down if you get pulled over. In some places though, they'll make you rip it off on the spot if the cop is having a bad day.

Im just worried that I would be pulled over for having the windows too dark...... then what? im screwed!!!

well i had limo on mine for awhile, and basically i was just careful about it. if you see a cop, pull ur window down. usually cops dont just pull u over for the tints. if your speeding or doign something stupid, then the tints will just be another ticket. people here get pulled over all the time for tints, but i guess ive either been luckier, or smarter than them. dont drive stupid, and you'll be fine. worst comes to wrost, take the tints off

Ive heard of fines for tints as high as $400. its cheaper to just remove the front, go to the police dept, get the charge dropped, and get it tinted again then pay the 400.

I got my tints from Wal-Mart. They're 35% and they match fairly close. If you have the black tint, you shouldn't have any problems with matching the ones in the back but if you have the privacy glass (mirrored), then you should get the tints from Wal-Mart. Here's a pic of mine:

Dead Link Removed

How hard are the tints to put on from walmart? Or did you take the tint to a professional to install?

Not easy to get it perfect if you have never tinted windows before. If it is your first try, make sure and buy extra as you will mess up a bit. I also matched my factory mirror tint quite well with 35% mirror tint from Autozone. I belive it was made by Gia?

Explorers without mirror tint are slightly below 20%, my meter says mine is about 17%. I put 15% on the fronts and they are slightly darker, only noticeable if you look.
My buddy had a shop match his, and its good to about 1%. It looks perfect. The shops can sometimes match it better by using charcoal over black tint and the like.

That tint they sell at Walmart and auto stores sucks, it is crap. I would try to find a tint shop willing to sell you some quality tint, and maybe see if they'll let you watch them do a window or 2, as its not the easiest thing to get right the first time. Practice makes perfect.

Good luck

I would not say all of it is crap. When I got mine there was many different levels and prices. Non glare, scratch resistant, uv protectant...... It has been on for 2 years without a scratch, bubble, or anything else.

I got mine done today! looks great. dunno the %. i think it is illegal but dunno. looks the same fron the outside.

Attachments

• dcp_0002.jpg
    dcp_0002.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 276

Originally posted by jssong

Some people have done a goldish tint that somewhat resembles the rear gold tint, however, i dont think anyone has gotten the exact color tint to match it perfectly. good luck

I have. I got a double coat of 15% bronze metallic from Alta Mere. Something like 170, but i also got a single layer of 15% on the others.

Sorry i don't have any pics.

Originally posted by Digger196
I got mine done today! looks great. dunno the %. i think it is illegal but dunno. looks the same fron the outside.

Looks good Dave!!! Got the tints and didn't tell me?!?!?!? I guess you bought the tints from Wal-Mart and let the pros tint it for ya?? How much??

In regards to the quality of the tint, I have the Wal-Mart ones and they stand up very well. I've had it since May 2002 and there aren't any scratches. They're very durable.

i got it this after noon about 12:20 and was going to cal but thought you were in class and didn't it was done by the pros! no walmart stuff!

the cost was $50. i dunno the % b/c i didn't ask. i just said match the mirror effect and no more was said and payed him $50 in cash and walked out. it was kinda under the table deal thing. i think he's running an illegal business so i didn't give him any info and wanted it done so i payed! i thought 50 wascheap and i've seen other ppls with the work done by him and it looked great to it was done.

MattStarr in va u can only tint the front 2 windows 50%. i live in richmond and have 35% up front and have had no problems.

I looked up the laws regarding tinting the front two windows... currently, the law says you can have up to 35%

really thats good then...1 less ticket i need to worry about....seems like the local tinting shop needs to update themselfs on the law since i got my info from them....and also where did you find that info??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I posted something, and someone told me 35% was the max

Back