What are your thoughts so far? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are your thoughts so far?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 2021 xlt with sport appearance has acoustic lamination on the front sides. Mine is super quiet
So no hood insulation pad.

Not sure. I will verify

Yes it does have the extra hood insulation but it has to be more insulation than that and the SAP could add the ST level of sound deadening.

My 2020 is in the shop for a creaking drivers seat and a very noticeable chirp when the AC clutch engages. They gave me a 2021 XLT and wow what a difference in sound on the highway.

Whatever they added to the sound proofing made a huge difference. It's virtually silent at 70.

My 2020 is dead silent on the highway. Only time you can't hear anything is when you crack open a window. Even 1/2". Then it'll sound like airplanes are taking off next to you.

Can't most of the software updates be done OTA? Or does the dealer have to plug something in for a software update?

I'm gonna wait for the 2022's come out before i ask my dealer for a test drive. If that is noticeably better than mine (which it should), i'm going to consider coming back to lease another explorer after this lease is over.

My 2020 is dead silent on the highway. Only time you can't hear anything is when you crack open a window. Even 1/2". Then it'll sound like airplanes are taking off next to you.

Can't most of the software updates be done OTA? Or does the dealer have to plug something in for a software update?

I'm gonna wait for the 2022's come out before i ask my dealer for a test drive. If that is noticeably better than mine (which it should), i'm going to consider coming back to lease another explorer after this lease is over.

Software updates for infotainment are OTA. Software updates for critical modules like the engine/transmission computer are still done old-school at the dealership hooked up to an actual... computer.

Yes it does have the extra hood insulation but it has to be more insulation than that and the SAP could add the ST level of sound deadening.
Thank you. Apparently the 2020 XLT trims did not have the hood insulation according to several posts I've read.

Peter

Software updates for infotainment are OTA. Software updates for critical modules like the engine/transmission computer are still done old-school at the dealership hooked up to an actual... computer.
My last update had to be done the USB way. It looked like an OTA update started but was stuck at the halfway mark for over a week.

Peter

My last update had to be done the USB way. It looked like an OTA update started but was stuck at the halfway mark for over a week.

Peter

Was that going to Sync 3.4?

I need to update my truck to this, did you notice any difference
Can't say I have but then I don't use it for anything other than the base functions.

Peter

Can't say I have but then I don't use it for anything other than the base functions.

Peter
I had the same issue where it wouldn't complete the update so I did it via USB. I haven't noticed any improvements and it still has the same quirks and delays.

Small upadate:

Was able to get the car in earlier and get the work going. Again, no loaner as its not considered warranty work (um, what?).

Cars been in for 10 days now, Ford sent the replacement part as the refresh didnt work. New part is also not working right now, so its all up in the air with what theyre going to do to make it right.

Personally, kind of over the car and this ridiculous issue its having and still no loaner provided or any resolution. Any advice? Do I reach out to the service manager and bring up the issue, see what they can do for me?

Hi. Does anyone have experience with the 2021 in winter. I’m in Toronto and I notice the auto start stop in my new vehicle hasn’t been coming on the last two days. I haven’t been driving regularly as we are in lockdown and working from home. But the last two days I drove for about 30 mins and no auto start stop. It’s says the engine temperature is too low and it has been about -3 outside the past few days. But I was driving for a while and the engine temp seemed normal. Any comments?

Hi. Does anyone have experience with the 2021 in winter. I’m in Toronto and I notice the auto start stop in my new vehicle hasn’t been coming on the last two days. I haven’t been driving regularly as we are in lockdown and working from home. But the last two days I drove for about 30 mins and no auto start stop. It’s says the engine temperature is too low and it has been about -3 outside the past few days. But I was driving for a while and the engine temp seemed normal. Any comments?

As a multiple Ford owner it has a lot more than just temperature to do with your vehicle going into Auto Start/ Stop. Your battery has to be at a certain level and it reads several other settings as well (defrost, ac, etc.) to make sure it will go into auto start mode. I usually disable it on my truck and the wife's Ex when I go out as it drives me crazy anyway.

As a multiple Ford owner it has a lot more than just temperature to do with your vehicle going into Auto Start/ Stop. Your battery has to be at a certain level and it reads several other settings as well (defrost, ac, etc.) to make sure it will go into auto start mode. I usually disable it on my truck and the wife's Ex when I go out as it drives me crazy anyway.

Same. That is the first thing i do whenever i get into my EX.

Turn off auto start/stop. Then seatbelt on.

That isn't unusual. With the HVAC running my Start/Stop feature also seldom cuts in. I noticed that as well at times during the summer when the A/C was running. Even when it does cut in I hardly seldom notice it. I find it very unintrusive. Here are just a few conditions from the Manual which would keep the engine running;
• The interior compartment does not
meet customer comfort when air
conditioning or heat is on.
• Fogging of the windows could occur
and the air conditioning is on.
• The battery is not within optimal
operating conditions

Peter

That isn't unusual. With the HVAC running my Start/Stop feature also seldom cuts in. I noticed that as well at times during the summer when the A/C was running. Even when it does cut in I hardly seldom notice it. I find it very unintrusive. Here are just a few conditions from the Manual which would keep the engine running;
• The interior compartment does not
meet customer comfort when air
conditioning or heat is on.
• Fogging of the windows could occur
and the air conditioning is on.
• The battery is not within optimal
operating conditions

Peter
I've tested the HVAC reason before. In heat of summer or dead of winter, I turn off the HVAC power and the engine stops. As soon as you turn on HVAC it comes back on. Also, I noticed at drive thrus when you open the window the engine stays on to regular interior temperature. Makes total sense. The auto high beam is also finnicky before it comes on. Precise lighting conditions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there any way to check the battery charge
I've tested the HVAC reason before. In heat of summer or dead of winter, I turn off the HVAC power and the engine stops. As soon as you turn on HVAC it comes back on. Also, I noticed at drive thrus when you open the window the engine stays on to regular interior temperature. Makes total sense. The auto high beam is also finnicky before it comes on. Precise lighting conditions.
thanks guys. I drove it around for a while and even turned the heat and radio off. It’s just strange. I think it really is because the last few days have been below -3. Funny thing is I usually switch it off too as soon as I go in the car. I just don’t like the idea if it’s working or not. New car and all!

Back