• Register Today It's free!

What axles do I have

Nevr2loe

Reaction score
City, State
Shalimar, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' Ranger
Ok, I have searched the forums, and Im new to this so Im gonna ask even though Im sure its been covered, I have a 1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab 4.0L V6 XLT, Ok, I was wondering what front and rear axles I had, and If anyone knew what gears I have. I have a 4" Skyjacker lift and 3" Body lift waiting to be put on my truck but I dont know what axles I have to get gears for, lol, I havent found any tags on the truck at all, lol :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

94 Ranger 4x4 with the 4.0L will have:

dana 35 TTB front
Corporate (Ford) 8.8 27 spline rear axle with drum brakes

Rangers didnt get 31 splines until the SOHC 4.0L

You likely have 3.73 gears, they were the most common BUT anything from 3.23 to 4.56 were in trucks from the factory with 3.55, 3.73 and 4.10 being the most popular.
the rear differential cover should have a tag on it that will tell you your gear ratio and whether the rear is open or limited slip.

If the tag is gone you can use the VIN number, if the gears have been changed you can jack up the rear tires and spind the driveshaft and count the rotations.

Definately an 8.8" rear. Not sure if the Ranger came with a 27 spline or 31 spline version. The Explorer uses 31 splines.

Since you have the 4.0, you should have the Dana-35 TTB front axle.

I'm glad I saw this myself. I thought the Explorers & Mounatineers 8.8 had a 28 spline axle. :confused:

all Explorer's have 31 splines, even the sport trac which is spring under and has drums
All Ranger Edge models have 31 spline 8.8's as well.

Not sure if they even make the 28 spline anymore....

WOW yall are great, I thought I had the 7.5" Rearend, what did that come in?

i think it came with the four banger.

SWEET, Thanks guys, time to go order gears, I want to put my lift on bad.....

4 cyl and 3.0L rangers had the 7.5" up until a certain year, not sure when
Also would have the dana 28 TTB

Back