What brands of running boards bolt on to the frame? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What brands of running boards bolt on to the frame?

tmber8

Reaction score
City, State
Kinmundy, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
I bought a 91 xlt when I turned 16. I got a good deal on it, because their was some moderate rust on the rocker panels and rear quater panels. I have talked to several former body repair guys, and they said the best, cheapest thing to do, was to grind of the rust until i was down to bare metal, then use fiberglass to cover up the hole and make it flush with the rest of the body, and paint it white. Then buy some quality running boards to cover up the fiberglassed area. The rust only runs about about 1 1/2 to 2 inches up on the rocker panel. I was wondering what type of running boards would bolt onto the frame, so I would not have to worry about the rocker panels. I would like to get some of the running boards that look like stock, and not the diamond plated metal ones. Do you guys know of any? If you know a better or cheaper way to fix my rocker panels, let me know.

And I just found this board, and it is the best board i have seen, with the most knowledgable people! I will be an everyday visitor!

Thanx
tmber8

Welcome, I don't really have an answer to your post, I just wanted to welcome you and I noticed that you are from IL. Check out the NoIEC link in my sig for the Northern Illinois Explorer Club Homepage. Once again welcome and you are going to be able to find out anything you need to know right here.

Tmber8, welcome to the site. Check out Explorer Express www.explorerexpress.com , they sell a sportrend model running board for a 91. Not exactly sure how much of the rocker it would cover though.

Back