What breaks first if converter isnt seated correctly? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What breaks first if converter isnt seated correctly?

Daniel Hagan

Reaction score
City, State
KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 explorer
First post, but been reading this forum alot since we got this thing a few years back..

08 4.0 5r55s 4wd. Long story short, converter apparently became unseated sometime between when it hit the jack and I tightened the bolts. Has not been ran. Of course I'm retarded, put one converter nut on, finished up all the wiring, crossmember, exhaust, tcase, etc, before finishing the converter nuts and starter. That's when I realized the motor will no longer turn over by hand.

Already conceded to the fact it has to come back out, but what should I check for collateral damage?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This usually damages the pump gear and the converter hub, it would be best to pull the pump and take it apart to check the gears and pump body.

First if heard of the alignment tool but quick search that seems to be on 8 bolt converters. Mine only has 4.

Got it ready to pull back out, just waiting on a transmission jack. Not doing it off a motorcycle jack ever again!

There is a alignment tool used to align the pump halfs, the tool you found is to align a flex plate to the 8 lug converters.

If you get the TransGo shift kit it will come with a tool and the valve in the pump, this valve is known for problems and is a good idea to replace it while it's apart. You dont have to install the rest of the shift kit if you dont want to, I dont use one with these but I do replace that valve.

5R55W Pump tool.JPG

Well finally got it yanked tonight and converter was still seated correctly, but pilot on the converter was tore up pretty good. Guess I just had angles off really bad. No obvious damage to anything else so I just swapped converters and put it back in with no issues.

I did not. The pump can come out of alignment just by removing the converter?

I did not. The pump can come out of alignment just by removing the converter?
@Daniel Hagan
I don't think so. Alignment is necessary when the pump housing is separated from the transmissioin case, I believe. To damage the front hub of the converter suggests, to me anyway, that the transmission-to-engine block bolts were drawn up to tightness, with the converter misaligned with the crankshaft hole. I would be surprised if damage was not done at the pump end, also. imp

We will know soon enough. Coming out a 3rd time now, and I will tear it down as time allows. 1st and 2nd gear works, no reverse or 3/4/5.
Essentially my original went bad, I had the money here for a new one but was offered a supposedly good trans for free out of an 82k mile explorer, all I had to do was pull it. Was worth a shot

So far on 'good' trans. Overdrive servo broken. Did manage to get the rest of it out of the case

15272268497851138982532.jpg

One way clutch junk as well. Tore down to center support, but seems to be stuck. Any tips?

15272269713311524581825.jpg

There is a alignment tool used to align the pump halfs, the tool you found is to align a flex plate to the 8 lug converters.

If you get the TransGo shift kit it will come with a tool and the valve in the pump, this valve is known for problems and is a good idea to replace it while it's apart. You dont have to install the rest of the shift kit if you dont want to, I dont use one with these but I do replace that valve.

View attachment 158879

What other special tools are needed to build a 5R55E? I have the tools for AOD/AODE/4R70W's, and am about to pull my 99 5R. It at least broke some kind of thin bearing shell(1/3 of it was in the pan), and all I have bought so far is the TC, rebuild kit, solenoids, accumulator springs. I installed a TransGo kit in it back in 2006, new solenoids etc.

I hope aligning the pump and TC are the worst parts of the job.

You should be able to do this transmission without any special tools, just come up with a way to compress the springs in the drums and align the pump and it should go smooth.

Thanks James, be sure to align the pump, will do.

I had thought about rebuilding this one in my spare time just for fun/learning and keeping it on the shelf as a just in case. But after looking at what my transmission guy charged me to rebuild the original with all the updates and boring the case... id be a fool! If anybody needs a part or 2 off this one message me

Back