What bulb does the 4x lights, and blinkers etc use? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What bulb does the 4x lights, and blinkers etc use?

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone?

I just need to know what bulb style is used for the light in the 4x4 switch, rear wiper switch, defroster/fog lights button, theyre all the same, its one little lightbulb, on this long 1" stick type thing that pulls out when you push and twist it

The blinkers, gauge lamps etc. in the instrument cluster are 194 or 194LL, the 161's are the same bulb base style but are higher light output (higher current/lumen output). Not sure about the lamps in the 4x4 selector sw. I think Ford just wants you to replace the switch module there.

They're not all the same in the 2nd gen. Sylvania does not list the proper bulbs.

The defroster and fog light switch use the same bulb. They use an 8mm (Type A) neo-wedge bulb.

The 4x4 switch uses a 10mm (Type B) neo-wedge base, however I have not found any pre-made LED versions with the long stalk. This type is also used for the headlight switch.

The rear wiper bulb does not use a standard type base.

The idiot lights in the instrument cluster are #74 style bulbs and the gauge backlights are #194.

If its the same bulb for the fogs/defroster, then how come only my fog light button lights up? The defroster doesnt...

Dang, well thanks for your info, i almost just said f it and ordered the 1815's lol.

Well can I buy those 8 and 10mm bulbs at like Murrays?

Heres my list of blown out bulbs:
2 in the gauge cluster behind the speedo
both reverse bulbs
keyless entry keypad
defroster
right side of the ac/heat controls
front right blinker (top)
right side of cruise control (set, cst, rsm buttons)
4x4 selector switch
3rd brake light in back (its the neon type one, so its blown probably)

thats it for now, and i plan on replacing ALL of those bulbs, if anyone has the correct lightbulb guide for a 1995 Explorer, post it?

Thanks for all your help guys i appreciate it

Sorry, I read the profile where it says 92 EB, not the sig. line stating 2nd gen owner/95 XLT

If its the same bulb for the fogs/defroster, then how come only my fog light button lights up? The defroster doesnt...

I meant they use the same type of bulb - each has it's own...

Also, the A/C controls use the #161 bulbs

The Sylvania guide is accurate for the larger bulbs (parking lights, back-up, brake, etc.)

I believe the keypad lights are internal, non-replaceable (the assembly is sealed), but I vaguely remember there being a thread on that around here somewhere...

Cruise control bulbs are weird - search around on here for info about them. There's also info here on replacing the neon 3rd brake light.

I had to replace the cruise control bulbs in my '97. I used a bulb that is listed for a Ford Contour clock, part #E5RY-13466-BA. It fit perfect. Only problem I ran into at all was taking the switches apart. There is a circuit board in the switch that has plastic tabs that hold it in place. If you get very lucky you will not break the tabs. I did break mine, so a little spot of Superglue put them back together. Of course, I will never be able to replace the bulbs again lol!! Cruise still works great though.

Bought my bulbs from directfordparts.com.

Search by part number.

I need to just flat out replace my cruise control switches anyways, the rubber on the outside is like literally coming off, and you have to move your thumb around it to actually hit the button; its not on my top priorities though, lol.

Are the 4x4, and fog (etc) lights sold at retail stores? I went to Murrays, AutoZone, and Meijers and NOONE had the 1815 (I think the number was) in stock.

I might just have to sit down with some white LEDs like from AutoZone and experiment...im 100% on wanting my whole DASH led, besides idiot lights, cus someone said the dash would start dinging. Ill probably still try it though :p

Cruise switches are on Ebay frequently, and very reasonable.

As far as the lights in your other switches, I used some bulbs from Radio Shack. They are not the "exact" bulb, but they work well. I, too, can't stand for bulbs in the dash and/or switches to not work. I used the following bulb part # 272-1092. The only switch that is not quite as bright as it was before is the rear wiper switch. It is a little dim, but is at least lit and looks fine to me (much better than totally dark for sure). On the fog light and rear defrost switch, and headlamp switch this Radio Shack bulb works perfect. The bulbs are clear, so you will need to remove the colored wrap off of the existing factory bulb when you remove them and place the wrap on the new bulb. The existing bulbs were clear as well I discovered, at least in my '97 they were.

Back