What Can Be shutting Down The Compressor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What Can Be shutting Down The Compressor?

ddave

Reaction score
City, State
Ft Lauderdale FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I have a 94 Ford Ranger 2.3. I've recently had some work done on my a/c which includes replacing a leaky schrader valve, had the orifice tube cleaned, system vac and charged. What I'm finding now is somthing is shutting down the compressor after about 20 min. of driving and it won't cycle back on. What's strange is I can get it to "click" back on If I throw it out of gear and stomp on the gas going down the road, which would last an additional 10-15 min. of cold air. then it goes off again. Could this be high pressure switch?
Eight months ago, It was involved in a fender binder. Had the fender replaced along with the front header panel. I have heard of something called "air seals" but don't know where they are or what they look like. Could they be missing, cousing this problem? I changed out the fan clutch, eliminating that.
I have some gauges, I need to know what normal pressures are, maybe that will help. I pretty sure I don't have a leak. It doesn't cycle on and off frequently as it would if it was low. It's the original compressor though. Really scratching my head with this one. Any help would be appreciated, big time!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is from another thread:

42402800.gif

Check to see that it isn't freezing up,by going WOT you make the compressor kick off and maybe thaw out a bit.Other then that high or low pressure switch going bad or AC relay.:D

Thanks to the both of you. It's a start.

Ok, figured it out. Turns out it was the low-side pressure switch.

Back