What can you do to quiet down noisy Goodyear Wranglers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What can you do to quiet down noisy Goodyear Wranglers?

Two of the tires on my AWD 2000 Explorer are driving me nuts with the noise they make. The tires have all kinds of tread left on them and are worn evenly. The tire blocks are not "Z'd like" I see on a lot of other noisy tires and Goodyear was of no help when I asked them.:salute:

If I could get the tires trued (shaved) that might help but supposedly that's not do-able these days. Anyone else have any suggestions?:notworthy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only sugestion I have is to get rid of those worthless Googyears and go with some Michelein's or Coopers.

I have never had a Goodyear tire that was worth a darn. My Mountaineer had brand new Goodyear HT's when I bought in June of '01. I ended up replacing them in Feb of '02 because they sucked so bad.

The only sugestion I have is to get rid of those worthless Googyears and go with some Michelein's or Coopers.

I have never had a Goodyear tire that was worth a darn. My Mountaineer had brand new Goodyear HT's when I bought in June of '01. I ended up replacing them in Feb of '02 because they sucked so bad.

I have to agree, my truck came with the wranglers and while they were pretty good in the snow, they're lousy in the rain. On my Exp I bought some
BFG Open Trail T/A's and loved them but they were a little noisy.

There is nothing you can do other than just getting something else. Having them trued would only work if there was an uneven wear pattern. If they are wearing normally, then it wont do a thing.

That's Easy!!! There's a knob on your stereo for it.:p:

paul-frank-volume-tee.jpg

That's Easy!!! There's a knob on your stereo for it.:p:
paul-frank-volume-tee.jpg
Whats that analog volume control doing here? is that from your BII? :p:

Same problem here Dave: I had two thumpers mainly at lower speeds no problem at highway speeds; they also had good tread left 5-6/32. I found I had to keep them on the front (too loud on the back), and also lessened the noise slightly by putting more air in (38-40) psi. I think myself and Aldive are the only one who like the Wranglers around here...which is a good all around tire.

I ended up weighing noise vs. safety and was it worth trying to get a few extra miles out of them. I ended up buying a set of Kelly Safari trex's (made buy Goodyear).

http://www.kelly-springfield.com/auto/promo/trex.html

They are very nice looking (unusual/aggressive), have a great tread wear warranty, and are a nice blend of on/off road capabilities (plus you don’t see them on ever other truck), if you have a Kelly dealer near you they are worth checking out. The picture on the web page does not do them justice you have to see them in person. Good Luck.

Back