What can you tell me about my engine? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What can you tell me about my engine?

RichCresci

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS, 06 Mounty
So I pulled one of my plugs yesterday just to see what was going on inside my 4.0 with 60,000 miles on it. From what i can see everything looks good to me and being as ford doesn't recommend swapping out the plugs until 100,000 i think I'm gonna leave them be. What do you guys think?
0112001629.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the gap within spec?

The plug doesn't look bad at all....

Honestly, I didn't even think to check, I was just so impressed with how clean it was.

the tip looks like it is done. All rounded off I would go with a new set.

reading_spark_plugs.jpg

I think its worn a little more than normal for the 60K on it. New Motorcraft plugs are kinda rounded anyway right?

the plug is just about worn out, best bet would probally be get new plugs and go on your merry way.

I have no idea what a new Motorcraft plug looks like but other than that I think it's safe to say everything looks fine?

that kinda looks like mine, just a little more.....defined. lol

Yeah, doesn't look like its running hot or anything like that. I think new plugs should do it.

You should also inspect and replace any worn boots and get some dielectric (or "tune up") grease and add it to the boots and connectors of the coils. It helps keep moisture out, and I think it helps lube the boot so it slides on the plug better. It does not conduct electricity, so it won't short anything out when it touches the connector contacts.

Just replaced mine a few months back with Motorcraft. Your's have worn the little teet comming out of the electrode. Im sure the gap is off. New plugs will idle better and get alittle better mileage.
Kinda funny, yours look better than mine at 45k!

I'm thinking if you took the time to pull them I'd replace them just so your set for awhile, plus they do look a little worn.

The plugs actually look pretty good for 60K miles.

They're designed to go 100K, but the resistor
inside the plug housing will deterioriate over time,
so you might gain some performance with new ones....

Back