what color to paint the explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what color to paint the explorer

what to do

• paint the box the same color as the current exterior

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • paint the X & box Dark Metalic Green

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • paint the X & box Midnight Blue (Metalic)

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • paint the X & box Metalic Black

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • paint the X & box other (specify)

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters

Saleen_SR71

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 EB 5.0
heres a picture of the X now.

DSCF1893.jpg

im thinking a darker green with metalic flake... but then theres so many colors out there to choose.

so then i thought:

Midnight Blue
Metalic Black
Pearl White
Metalic Orange
some sort of Cameleon colors

main purpose of this right now is i build a custom fiberglass sub box, and want it painted the same color as the exterior of the car... now i could either get it painted the current color, or a future color

i honestly like its current color but im stuck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just paint the box, your paint looks great, don't repaint it, it doesn't need it. Plus I don't see to many explorers with that color paint anyways, keep it.

Look at the 95-01 Limited's color scheme. Why not paint the lower tan area like those, using a darker green down there. I like my Toreador Red over Dark Toreador Red, but the green versions are my second choice. Good luck,
Don

I agree with CDW......, I would go with a nice contrasting darker green, I would love to paint mine that color, I love GREEN!!!!
Sandy

I'd ditch the two tone and paint it metallic silver. It would set those wheels off.

ive always been a fan of pearl white upper and tan lower

I'm biased to the color it already is (same color as mine), but it would look good if the lower section was painted a darker green.

well for now im thinking ill just get the box painted the same green as the exterior.

i havent seen an explorer monotoned with fender flares...

but as for which colors im leaning toward (monotone wise), im thinking a form of white (pearl, metalic white, etc.), or a form of black... black would really set off the rims.

well... maybe if i just lower it a tad.... like so....
explorerloweredcopy.jpg

yeah i think that sets the rims off a bit more

Why ruin a good thing? You should leave it the way it is... She looks sweet. It's a '97 and still looks like that? If it ain't broken, don't fix it. BTW those rims look really good...

Paint the cladding dark green then do green ghost flames in the current paint.

Don’t paint it or at least don’t do a color change. No point with a truck that looks as nice as yours.

If you paint it black it’s going to look like crap with that platinum mirror IMO. Compared to the green at least

If you took away the two-color scheme and went with a white or silver it would look awesome. The Platinum mirror would go good with silver.

go with white. its pretty much a show truck... so u want it looking good. dark colors show scratches bad. scratches on a nice show type truck is ugly :thumbdwn: pick something that hides scratches. it'll look better longer with less effort.

heh only the front windows (driver and passenger) are mirror tint, the others are actually limo, weird how its like a mirror limo tint on the rear windows

Stay away from black... it looks like you like to keep it clean. dont know if you have or have ever owned a black car, but they are a pain in the A%# to keep clean. its a nightmare keeping my stang clean darn thing looks dirty 10 minutes after i wash it since it seams to be a magnet for dust and dirt. Im in agreement with a few other folks do the 2 tone green or leave it alone. but after all it is your car and you have to drive it so it's your decision.

BeauJ said:
I'd ditch the two tone and paint it metallic silver. It would set those wheels off.

This.

Back