• Register Today It's free!

What craziness is this?

Flandry

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Sport
Hi everyone! Words fail to describe my reaction to finding this site, but I tried in the title. ;)

I joined earlier this week but only now have I had the time to truly introduce myself. Here is my story:

Part I

I’ve been an Explorer owner for about 11 years now. It all began when I needed a multi-purpose family vehicle. So I bought a used 93 Explorer XLT with 58K miles. My truck has been a daily driver that’s seen use in a variety of roles (commuter, day tripper, grocery getter, pickup truck, minivan, etc.). I’ve added a little over 100K miles to it, but the last 4 years I’ve gotten out of it have come at a high price. I’ve had to rebuild the heads, rebuild the transmission, replace the radiator, redo the brakes (everything but the calipers and rear springs), replace the window motor on the driver’s door, and replace the fuel sending unit. I’ve also changed the plugs and wires, put in a new battery, and put on new tires. Each time I’ve had to do something, I’ve spent the money to “do it right”. But to keep from going broke, I haven’t replaced the cracked front windshield, fixed the scrape that cracked the paint on the left rear quarter panel, or repaired the three power windows that no longer work. Now the transmission has gone out again and it sits dead in my driveway.

My wife and I had begun saving for a replacement vehicle, but had hoped the truck would hang in there without more major repairs for three more years. We are sick of the constant, costly repairs and tired of finding ourselves stranded on the road. So we started exploring alternatives.

Part II

I had a brother who once decided to buy a nice car. So he worked for about four years and saved every dime he earned. All the while, he researched and eventually decided to buy a 93 Explorer Sport. He went to the dealership and custom ordered a nicely optioned vehicle. When it arrived from the factory, he wrote a check for it and drove it home. He loved his X and spent ridiculous amounts of money detailing it inside and out regularly. He also meticulously kept every piece of paper associated with it. For example, he put his canceled check in the file section with the order the salesman and he worked up, the actual order submitted to Ford, the sale form, the receipt the salesman wrote for his check, and the window sticker (which of course was never actually placed on the vehicle).

Ten years ago, my brother was killed in a motorcycle accident. My parents took possession of his truck. They had no need of it, but couldn’t bear to get rid of it. None of us felt right about driving it. But we knew what would happen if just sat. So for the last ten years, the truck has been driven around a bit once or twice a month and every Spring it got washed and waxed and cleaned up inside. The truck now has 57K miles on it.

Two weeks before my transmission went out, my brother’s truck was getting its run time and its transmission also went out.

Part III

I needed a reliable vehicle. My parents knew I’d been saving up, but couldn't afford another car for my family. They retired and the last thing they needed was to spend a lot of money repairing a car they don’t drive. Ten years have now passed since my brother died and the pain is not what it once was. So my parents asked me to take the truck and I agreed.

For me, taking the truck that meant so much to my brother comes with added responsibility. I would not be honoring his memory if I didn’t try to take care of it. And care it needs. While it’s been maintained, it’s essentially been mothballed for ten years. The task of returning it to regular service and avoiding the extensive repairs that could force me to retire it is daunting.

So I started trying to find some information online. That’s when I stumbled upon Exlorerforum.com. I am amazed. I had no idea anyone cared at all about these vehicles, much less, this much. The wealth of information this community has collected is stunning. And the enthusiasm here has revived in me a feeling about Explorers, and even Ford in general, that I've not felt in years. I’m filled with hope and with the knowledge I'm finding here, have begun my "serious exploration." I thank you all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...well, welcome here and enjoy...it's probably one of the friendliest forums you will find and it has all kinds of information for your explorer's from stock to wild and the member's here are owner's like yourself...again, welcome...:D

Welcome to Explorer Forum!

Welcome to the site:chug: That's quite a story. I hope you get many years of reliable service from your Ex. The first gen is a good solid platform.

Welcome the the Explorer Family.

Like Rick said that is quite a story. I can agree 100% on that.

Good luck with your Explorer and have a great time on the site.

Welcome, make your brother proud. :D

Great story and welcome to the forum!

Back