What did I do to my throttle cable | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did I do to my throttle cable

sodjer6

Reaction score
City, State
Lincoln, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport/'04 XLT
Well, Friday night the bracket that holds the gas pedal assembly broke off. I have it bolted back on and gotten the pedal back in, but now after reattaching the throttle cable, the pedal sits about an inch off the floor. It's as if the cable has way too much slack in it or something, and it wasn't like that before. I had already done the throttle cable mod a couple years ago(and the zip ties are still on there).
Is it possible the cable was streched, pulled out or something when the assembly fell? Everything looks normal on the throttle body.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to post without offering any help, but what's this throttle cable mod and what's the benefit? Something i should look into?

i would bet on the bracket not being right , if it was the pedal would be in the same place,,

Sorry to post without offering any help, but what's this throttle cable mod and what's the benefit? Something i should look into?

You pick up the slack in the pedal by attaching zip tie or two to the cable (cut of the excess, it's the stub you leave behind that makes the difference). Makes your throttle response a bit more snappy. Lots of threads on the site discuss it. You'll need to search around.

Well I never looked to see how the bracket was mounted before, not sure if there were spacers or something. When it gets warmer out i'm going to add some spacers behind the bracket, but for now I just added more zip ties as a band-aid solution.

Also here is a link to the Throttle Cable Mod

Oh NOW this thread comes up! LOL. I just had the same thing happen (almost). Mine had broken loose of its welds but not fully. There aren't any spacers, but due to the offset shape of the pedal arm you do need to make sure the bracket is in the right place and flat to the firewall. JB and a couple self-taps did it for me.

20221124_114127.jpg 20221124_115526.jpg

Back