What Did I Temporarily Break? 2000 XLT SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What Did I Temporarily Break? 2000 XLT SOHC

gsoexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
Hi,
In an effort to try to take every step I can to prolong my SOHC timing chains/guides, I have been cranking the engine with the gas pedal to the floor when the engine is cold. Occasionally after doing this it is hard to start and stumbles. Today it look about an hour after the initial cranking to get the truck going. I'm not sure what I did, but it would just crank and crank. I threw my battery on a charger, I disconnected the negative cable for 15 minutes, all with no change. I finally put the gas pedal to the floor and cranked it again and that got it to turnover. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm now hesitant to continue trying to get the oil pressure up by using this technique.

Thank you

@gsoexplorer
I am not in favor of this technique. Especially with cold, thick oil in the engine. In my mind, starting with minimal throttle necessary to prevent dying, would be my way. Ford's old EEC-IV did just that. RPM started at about 1200, immediately beginning to drop slowly. imp

I'm not an expert. The expert is known as koda2000; but here's my guess:

What condition is your Idle Air Control(IAC) valve and how filthy is your throttle body? The IAC is just under the splash cover, right on top dead center. Two bolts, one electrical connector. Search the forum, if cleaning it out helps, then you're probably best replacing it.

Back