What did Roadrunner find in his diff? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did Roadrunner find in his diff?

Roadrunner777

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bemidji, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4x4 Sport 88k
Changed out diff fluid this afternoon... found these metal tabs in the bottom of the housing. Pictures tomorrow. It's 3.73 limited slip. Was? Also, what is up with the plastic dif cover? Is there some rational here because I don't see how it could be cheaper than a stamped steel cover. Why did they do that?

I have to say that my 94 sport is rapidly becoming my favorite vehicle ever. I cannot believe the money I am spending, 20 here 50 there, to deal with the pervasive rust on this truck. I saw my brake drums for the first time... whole chucks of metal are flaking off the rim, and my brake lines are just plain scary. I got the oil gauge fixed up last weekend, basic tune-up, new pads and shocks in front. I love this truck. I hope I have it until I am done!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Changed out diff fluid this afternoon... found these metal tabs in the bottom of the housing. Pictures tomorrow. It's 3.73 limited slip. Was? Also, what is up with the plastic dif cover? Is there some rational here because I don't see how it could be cheaper than a stamped steel cover. Why did they do that?

I have to say that my 94 sport is rapidly becoming my favorite vehicle ever. I cannot believe the money I am spending, 20 here 50 there, to deal with the pervasive rust on this truck. I saw my brake drums for the first time... whole chucks of metal are flaking off the rim, and my brake lines are just plain scary. I got the oil gauge fixed up last weekend, basic tune-up, new pads and shocks in front. I love this truck. I hope I have it until I am done!
That reminds me, I need to change my diff fluid. Did you use the limited slip additive?

I've been feeling the same way about mine. Had it for 5 years and in the past year have been putting a decent bit of money in it. Doing body work myself, fixed my A/C, new door strikers, headliner, and other odds and ends. I'm about to paint it too. Love this truck :cool:

I have been doing the same thing with my Ex. $20 here $20 there $450 here. I bought it like it will get me buy a while, fell in love and now in like in keepin this ***** forever. Need lift, tires, snorkel, and the list goes on, always thinking of new modifications and glad I found this site so I know others feel the same as me.

Ok, like I said, I pulled off my dif cover, marvelled that it was plastic, then found a magnet embedded in it, and one of these tabs stuck to it. Moving on, I tried to scoop some old oil out of the cavity in the bottom of the carrier, and I found the rest of them. I lost one before the picture, so I actually found 7 tabs, or mutilations thereof.

I have decided they must be the ears off the limited slip discs, and I guess that's the way it goes. Anyway, thought I would share.

tabs.jpg

The magnet is to attract any metal in the diff, so it wont be constantly cycled through your gears. Just like your tranny pan and oil pan. I hope you put it back in there, if not it dosent attract plastic anyway and that seems to be your problem.

There is a couple of other threads on here about these but noone has ever figured out what they are.

Those are the tabs that hold the limited slip clutch packs in place. They look like originals also (squared off end where replacements or 95+ are rounded). I bet your limited slip doesn't work too good missing half the tabs. There should be 3 clutches on each side I think so half of yours are bad or not working.

If the spider gears are not chipped up then you are good. (hard to buy by themselfs) If there is no damage done to any metal gears you could put everything right back together and have no issues other than a bum working limited slip. If you want to rebuild it its not hard, just about $150 after parts and oil.

Back