What did you do this weekend? Participation required | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do this weekend? Participation required

Kjhadfield

Reaction score
City, State
Panama City Beach, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 sport trac 4wd
Most threads are created to solve the current issue one may have and the others are show off my st or lift thread. What about for everything in between- maintenance, upgrades or mods? The stuff you did over the weekend (or week), the stuff you may do all the time but doesn't warrant starting a new thread or you don't want to start a thread for a mod/upgrade you did.

My to-do list is long on maintenance or upgrades and most of my reminders and ideas come from someone else here. I wanted to do this for some time now mainly for the fact that it will give me (and others) ideas or to serve as a reminder.

So all I ask is if you did something/anything to your truck, share please. Example: cleaned iac/maf/throttle body, changed fluids, maintenance, bought something, installed something, modded something. I really don't care how small because it just might remind someone they needed to do it to. This isn't intended to necessarily be a how to thread, that would probably be better/easier to search for if its on its own (you can mention it here and link to it if you'd like).

Thanks for your participation :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll start, of course.
I drained/filled my transfer case today- old fluid was brown murky. The last 2 days I could hear a faint clunk and couldn't pinpoint it or narrow it down, turns out it's the end link (lost a bushing). I was prepping my center console trim for clear coat and I wet sanded to deep on a corner, this is the first time I've wet sanded before so I'll be putting another coat on.

Edit: I used this to fill the tc back up, just held it up above the driveshaft and squeezed it in. I also put thread sealant on both plugs @ 18 ft/lbs

A23C5E1A-D0A7-479A-A4BC-790C7B5752F8_zpsnp3dymgz.jpg

Cleaned out the trash from the floor board and back seat. I swear I'm not the trashy car kinda person but it got away from me this year. Also took it on the highway for the first time since January.

Also found out that 600 lbs of concrete loaded right at the end of the bed limits you to 55 mph. I've never felt a vehicle rock so violently. I knew better but wasn't thinking about it as I merged into the highway.

I replaced the serpentine belt, belt tensioner & pulley, idler pulley and water pump on my son-in-law's '97 Sport SOHC, plus changed his oil and filter (all before lunch). Tomorrow we will rotate his tires and adjust his left outer tie-rod end a few turns.

Wiped the dust off the dash and door panels & window trim. Cleaned out the backseat in preparation for a road trip tomorrow. Taking my 6 1/2 month old granddaughter to see my sister-in-law, who hasn't seen the baby yet. Oh yeah, her parents are going too.

Rotated the tires on the son-in-laws '97 Sport and turned in the left outer tie-rod end 3 turns. We'll see if that will be too much, but I'm thinking it will be just about right considering the way the tire was wearing.

well two weeks ago i picked up a real nice 94 2door sport 5speed. way cleaner body than my last two. it runs and drives but that wasnt good enough for me so sat i started the tear down got a lil crazy with a grinder and ever rust area on the body got cut out. sunday i welded new sheet metel in and bondo to smooth it out. now i have the body off and its getting 4" suspension and 2" body lifts and i already ordered my 35x12.5 wrangler mtr kevlars. last night i decided that from the body line just above the door handle all the way to the ground is going to get hurculiner 3/16 thick. if you dont know about this stuff look it up. still driving my 92 everyday but i hope to have this build done by 9/26 to get this bundy hill run in.

Michigan 1st gen guru.

Thank you all for joining in- I hope this can be a regular thing, sometimes this sub forum is dead for days on end.

I was able to re coat my center console (after I wet sanded to deep) last night and fumbled it slightly and chipped the edge. I've had this thing off for a week (7 day fully cured) and can't wait any longer so I put some clear on today, will install tonight or tomorrow. The clear is "dusty" in the recess' (cup holder/tray) so I'm going to let dry a few hrs and litely wash it and hope it turns out fine

I replaced the Trac bar bushing on my Super Duty due to death wobble. Prompted me to go over all the links on the Trac to make sure they were tight and grease everything from the ball joints to the driveshaft u joints. You can't put a price on PM

I replaced the Trac bar bushing on my Super Duty due to death wobble. Prompted me to go over all the links on the Trac to make sure they were tight and grease everything from the ball joints to the driveshaft u joints. You can't put a price on PM

I have never thought of greasing u joints or anything like that. Looks like I have to do some reading on how to do this. I actually don't know much about the driveline/driveshaft so I guess I'll need to check everything out. I did notice wetness around what I think was the u joint when I was under there- from reading, possible seal leak or/and bad bearings.

^ No zerk fittings on an ST unless they are replaced aftermarket parts. Good when new, bad when old. :thumbsup: :thumbdwn:

^ No zerk fittings on an ST unless they are replaced aftermarket parts. Good when new, bad when old. :thumbsup: :thumbdwn:

I have never thought of greasing u joints or anything like that. Looks like I have to do some reading on how to do this. I actually don't know much about the driveline/driveshaft so I guess I'll need to check everything out. I did notice wetness around what I think was the u joint when I was under there- from reading, possible seal leak or/and bad bearings.

Swshawaii is correct, OEM parts are "non-serviceable" so when they're worn out they're done. Everything on mine was completely replaced since I have the SAS.

It's always good to get greasable Moog ball joints (and other joints/bushings) when you replace the stockers. However, I hear mixed reviews when it comes to greasable u-joints. Some say they're weaker and others say last longer. I grease mine up every oil change to make sure the grease is fresh and haven't had a problem with mine in 10k+ miles.

Swshawaii is correct, OEM parts are "non-serviceable" so when they're worn out they're done. Everything on mine was completely replaced since I have the SAS.

It's always good to get greasable Moog ball joints (and other joints/bushings) when you replace the stockers. However, I hear mixed reviews when it comes to greasable u-joints. Some say they're weaker and others say last longer. I grease mine up every oil change to make sure the grease is fresh and haven't had a problem with mine in 10k+ miles.

Ahh, didn't know that w/ the u joints. I know about the ball joints, tie rods and such- I just got both uca's and both tie rod ends (moog w/ zerk) in the mail, that need to be installed yet.

Ahh, didn't know that w/ the u joints. I know about the ball joints, tie rods and such- I just got both uca's and both tie rod ends (moog w/ zerk) in the mail, that need to be installed yet.

A grease-able u-joint is fine for all but the most extreme use, but they are weaker than a u-joint without the grease fitting. As far as a grease-able joint lasting longer, yeah if you grease them periodically, which most don't do.

Regarding installing the Moog ball joints (which is what I use) be careful to point the little weep-nipple thingy in the boot as the instructions indicate.

I bought this a couple of weeks ago. I semi blame Koda for this. Reading his ST project got me inspired to get another project to play with. It will either get sold or replace the white ST. The guy had just put a remaned 4.0 in it weeks before it was wrecked. Saturday I went junkin and found most of the parts I need in white.

I also but front pads and rotors on the V-8 ST. I started putting wires on it and got the drivers side done. The rear one on the passenger side is a real pain! I will have to wait a few days on the rest of them, getting hot. I also put pads on my white ST and put the 16's back on it.

I also cut 4 trees up that have fallen during the summer, burned some of it and mowed the yard.

Attachments

• 0818151936a.jpg
    0818151936a.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 591

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

N2ford,

Sorry if I'm responsible for your new project, but hey, it's fun. As far as the rear spark plug (#3) remove the plastic inner fender and it's a clear shot through the wheel well. I did mine last week. It's also a clear shot to the rear hydraulic tensioner this way. Easy to do, remove the tire a few bolts and a handful of screws and the inner fender comes right out.

I'm half way through replacing my valve cover gaskets. Now that's a fun job. Then I hope to do my trans service by the end of the week. Just waiting for my Wix filter to come in the mail, I already have my Merc V ATF and a drain plug. I also replaced my body mount bushings recently. I'm running out of stuff to do on this project. Only major thing left will be the driver's seat bottom.

Back