What Did You Do To Your 3rd Gen Today? | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What Did You Do To Your 3rd Gen Today?

Replaced both front hub assemblies. Process went unexpectedly smoothly. I believe the old units may have been factory originals since they were sealed with a tough black silicone like substance which I've not seen mentioned in any replacement description. At 145000 miles it would seem unlikely. Anyway, test drive presented a steering shudder which naturally made me wonder what I did wrong or if the parts were bad, but a search on this forum explained this was normal due to air in the power steering from turning the steering with wheels off the ground. Hell, that right there is worth $20. This is a 2003 XLT 2W drive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love threads that share ideas, tips, inspire, and keep other members motivated, so I love threads like this!:D

Let's keep each other going! Share what you've been doing to your 3rd gen, no matter how big or how small. Did you rebuild your engine with nothing but a screwdriver and a Chihuahua? Post up, Son! Did you change your wiper blades? Heck, tell us what you bought, why, and where you got 'em.

We've gotta keep our "aging" rigs on the road, and a little help can go a long way. I've picked up a lot from this forum and look forward to seeing what everyone is up to!:thumbsup:

I spent almost all freaking day changing the Fuel Filter on my '04, while waiting for another "Special Tool" because my valve spring compressor won't work! After several vintage and newly invented words, I got the upstream connector to move and that connection released as if I knew what I was doing. I tried the Spring Lock on the downstream connector again and it released! All Ford Designers should be required to service these freaking nightmares!

That fuel filter change is the best maintenance item to burn time when you don't have time to waste, a pita.

where is a good place to tap in to get Key on power in the IP?

note the radio is always on so that doesnt work.

Changed the original spark plugs today at 186,000 miles, was running fine before but it feels even better now, better throttle response and pulls a little stronger. After the test drive cleaned the maf and noticed even more improvement. Did the plugs from above, didn't remove passenger front wheel, took about an hour.

I did the plug change Friday
Autolite s had about 80k on them

Put in NKG. Seemed like an immediate 1-2 mpg drop

O/d light was flashing and check tranny came up smh so I changed the solonod pack and the tranny filter and new fluid and now no more slipping 3erd and hard reverse and light went off.... buttt now a hour later the light came back on but everything drives good and when I turn the car off light go’s away for along time but then comes back on but shifting is good and seems to be fine lol

O/d light was flashing and check tranny came up smh so I changed the solonod pack and the tranny filter and new fluid and now no more slipping 3erd and hard reverse and light went off.... buttt now a hour later the light came back on but everything drives good and when I turn the car off light go’s away for along time but then comes back on but shifting is good and seems to be fine lol

so after the plugs we got on this

and finishing this up was the reward to a really tough mod

Access to the fog lamp screws is very limited

717BEF43-2D9D-433B-AF94-8B4421C21B8F.jpeg

now onto the dash - where is the best tap into point for key-on only power?

replaced my power steering pump today, made a mess on the front side of the engine.. I highly recommend taking out the clutch fan for more space to remove the pulley and high pressure line. I never did because I don't have the fan clutch tool (or any tool to remove the fan clutch)

24176881_1590529504348528_2705430197849522335_n.jpg

where is a good place to tap in to get Key on power in the IP?

note the radio is always on so that doesnt work.
One idea: Find the fuse for an item that is switched VPWR and use one of those fuse taps to get 12 V DC on that. Just an idea.

Last week replaced the oil adapter filter gasket and differential oil, now about to do the last thing I have pending to replace, the rear upper ball joints. Let's see how it goes, wish me luck.

what symptom tells you you need to replace rear upper ball joints?

what symptom tells you you need to replace rear upper ball joints?

This is how they are as of today. Once i replace bith I need to get aligment and the Ex will be set to ride miles and miles more.

C116E813-E6AF-4068-BD28-476DF9CBFA8A.jpeg
887C6D40-0BA8-46BD-87C2-796C3D743A20.jpeg

Aye

How many miles?

Most highway or with some serious off road?

Any one try the Diablo Tune? It’s a $350 kit, worth it??

Aye

How many miles?

Most highway or with some serious off road?

Almost 167.000 miles, bought it with 159.000 last March and since i’ve had it, highway/streets always. Knowing that the Ex had the factory fuel filter and that the differential oil never was changed til i did it this past weekend, i wouldn’t be surprised if thise ball joints were the original ones. Do you know any tip?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m well beyond that with originals Did the struts at 110k

Then
I changed everything in the front this summer and I see it mostly as a waste of time

The aftermarket makes the struts stiffer so you get rattled, say wow I got new stuff on my car, what a difference

That also straight from a Ford engineer

Tips

See if there is a thread on changing the rear Ctrl arms, should be

Back