What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 101 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

I recently bought a white 2012 explorer limited. I’m in the process of doing all the chrome deletes. I bought covers for the door handles but they don’t fit the sensors. Anyone have any good options to cover the chrome?

Without replacing the whole door handle, you could wrap all the chrome. You could also go the less expensive route and do Plasti-dip but that comes off easily on high traffic parts. A good wrap should last a while.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the links! Ive been wanting to put one on mine for a while.. Did yours already have any type of wiring back there or did you have to wire up the trailer lighting harness on your own?

There is a T harness in one of the links. You unplug a connection on the passenger side rear and put the new harness in between. Works great.

Without replacing the whole door handle, you could wrap all the chrome. You could also go the less expensive route and do Plasti-dip but that comes off easily on high traffic parts. A good wrap should last a while.
move seen someone say the covers without sensor holes still work. Is this a viable option?

Carbon fiber vinyl wrapped the radio trim. Will be getting rid of all the boring light grey trim in the x. This was a first time wrapping trial run and I'm giving myself the green light to keep going hahaView attachment 315941
I have plans to do the same, looks great!

We had new garage doors installed at our house. I went to program the homelink and realized I did not have homelink in my Explorer. Looked around and the visor is very pricey and did not really want to cut into mine. Lo and behold there was a visor, lit and with homelink. Same color and same year on Ebay for $60.00. Got it in today and took all of 10 minutes installing it. This take off from a wrecked car is in perfect condition. Now I am waiting for Shark fin antenna to get here so i can change out the shaft style antenna.

We had new garage doors installed at our house. I went to program the homelink and realized I did not have homelink in my Explorer. Looked around and the visor is very pricey and did not really want to cut into mine. Lo and behold there was a visor, lit and with homelink. Same color and same year on Ebay for $60.00. Got it in today and took all of 10 minutes installing it. This take off from a wrecked car is in perfect condition. Now I am waiting for Shark fin antenna to get here so i can change out the shaft style antenna.

Which antenna do you have?

I added a stubby to mine. Nice and easy.

Which antenna do you have?
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
I
The first picture is what is what i found on ebay for 24.99, new take off. The second one is the one that is on mine right now.
I just got a notice that new antenna was just delivered to work address. Will open in the morning and install with pics tomorrow afternoon,
Note: second picture is not my vehicle, just showing what my stock antenna looks like.

I am replacing the whole antenna assembly.

Ahh. Ok. On my 18 I didn’t want that long antenna on my shark fin. So now I have a stubby from Amazon. It is maybe 3”.

Hey Joe. There is already a thread with installation pictures; Shark fin Antenna Install + Pics

Peter

That is installing the cover you can buy, using your existing base and purchasing aftermarket parts. I am removing the shafted base and installing the OEM shark fin assembly that does not use the shaft.
Not the same install.
Joe

OKay. You can just add yours to that same thread to keep it all together. Thanks.

Peter

Well, this post is about 2 years in the making. With two smaller kids at home, there's no time in the day to do anything. I guess I can thank Corona for finishing this project, despite it not being quite what I had planned in the beginning.

To follow up from where I left off, here's my last post where I had a finished self-designed 3D printed headlight bracket: What did you do to your 5th Gen today? and this one.

Since I don't expect anyone to keep track of what my planned project was, I'll sum up. I essentially installed the following into a set of Ebay purchased "clear" headlight units for the 11-15 Explorer.
  • BI-LED Koito 3" projector headlight units (I got them from Lightwerkz, at the time, with tuning). These are the same headlights found in some newer Toyotas (2017+ Prius I believe)
  • Switchback halos from Diode Dynamics (90mm, should probably have gone with 100mm).
  • And I got programmable light strips (and lots of other stuff) from Adafruit to make a "flowing" LED turn signal inside.
The light strip is the part of the project I had to scrap. There was no easy way to get the strips to look good inside and not look cheap, so in the end I squeezed cheap "AliExpress" led strips that have the same effect (but are nowhere near as cool) under the light itself. I will be replacing those at some point with something better, if I find something and have the time and willpower. I see now that Adafruit does side-lit strips of the same kind that I got, which might be just the ticket for something "not inside the headlight itself". They do draw a lot of power however.

After taking headlights apart (using a heat gun and pulling) and assembling the new lights, halos, wiring etc, and putting them back together (Morimoto butyl sealant + heat gun + pushing hard), and then of course taking off the entire grill and lower bumper (which by the way, is much easier than just taking off the grill - for those that are looking to paint it), the new headlights fit perfectly. However, the turn signal sockets on the Ebay lights was different than those in my car, but luckily I don't need them so I left the sockets it came with on (without bulbs in them). Otherwise some wire cutting and mending would've solved that easily.

The result is actually better than I expected. My halo install could've been cleaner wire-wise, but I was sick of the whole thing and was ready to throw the project in the trash many, many times. The Koito light output is incredible. Compared to "LED" replacements that I've tried loads of, nothing comes close to what it is now. This kind of light output is what the Ford Explorer should've come with from the factory.

The switchback halos work great, the orange is so strong that they look like they are factory quality. The major issue I had here was that when the car was off or on put in Park, the car would do the "bulb outage" flashing (even with Forscan programming), and after a lot of pulling my hair, it turns out the halos have some sort issue with the ground wire. So I had to put each headlights turn signal on a separate car relay. Minor but annoying, and lots of extra wires. It's not like the engine room has a lot of extra space!

Ok, to the results. Pardon the dirty headlights, it looks like there's dirt inside, but it's all outside. (Ignore The vertical LED on the right, that's not part of this project and is just a purchased DRL)

Everything off:
h4nQJO4.jpg

Halo (DRL) and headlight on:
bTwpsVK.jpg

Lights on, and turning:

Me pushing the "unlock" button:

Bonus picture of what the wiring on a soldered breadboard with a micro computer, resistors, voltage converters, etc looks like for the light strip to run on 12V:
S316BGT.jpg

So that's that project finished. I kept the old headlights in case it all goes bust, but so far so good.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions if someone is considering this kind of project, there's a lot of details I left out of "things learned". Total cost of all of this is probably well above $2000, considering all the stuff I bought and a lot that I didn't end up using. A "raw" cost would still be around ~$1000 for components alone. I honestly don't recommend doing this unless you drive in the dark a lot. Get a new car instead :p

Friday morning, hit a deer at 65 mph. I was still dark and the darn thing just appeared. I swerved and the deer hit the front left of my vehicle. I felt that sick feeling, and did not want to look at it when i got to work.
While i was expecting major damage, i was pleasantly surprised to find the fog lamp was dangling by the wire and the front fender trim was sticking out. No other damage visible. I stuck my hand in the fog light hole and retrieved the fog light and it was just the bracket that was broken. Found the item on Ebay and it arrived on Monday morning. The trim piece got here today and total cost was 95.00. Heck my deductible is over 500.00. Feel like i was lucky, when it was said and done.

Friday morning, hit a deer at 65 mph. I was still dark and the darn thing just appeared. I swerved and the deer hit the front left of my vehicle. I felt that sick feeling, and did not want to look at it when i got to work.
While i was expecting major damage, i was pleasantly surprised to find the fog lamp was dangling by the wire and the front fender trim was sticking out. No other damage visible. I stuck my hand in the fog light hole and retrieved the fog light and it was just the bracket that was broken. Found the item on Ebay and it arrived on Monday morning. The trim piece got here today and total cost was 95.00. Heck my deductible is over 500.00. Feel like i was lucky, when it was said and done.

What a wake up! Glad you are safe and it was an easy fix!

Last week, I replaced my front door 6x9’s with PowerBass speakers. Today I replaced my back door 6 1/2’s with Alpine 2 way speakers, I had in my garage.

Last week, I replaced my front door 6x9’s with PowerBass speakers. Today I replaced my back door 6 1/2’s with Alpine 2 way speakers, I had in my garage.
Disconnect the center dash speaker, I could tell a solid bump in sound. How is the sound compared to stock now?

Disconnect the center dash speaker, I could tell a solid bump in sound. How is the sound compared to stock now?
I think it is clearer...I purchased a kicker 3 1/2” 2-way speaker from a member and was going to replace the center speaker with it. I will disconnect it and listen to it and see if I can tell a difference. My plan was to purchase another set of of the kickers for the rear panel to complete my speaker replacement project. I already have 2 10” subs with amp.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Installed Raptor Style Grille... I have my DRL turned on (park light), I connected the 3 grille led lights to the DRL and so the grille lights turn on when on lock/unlock, open and close doors.
Exp-newgrill.JPG
Exp-newgrill2.JPG
Exp-newgrill3.JPG

Back