What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 112 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Installed the hitch and wiring
Need the tow haul button now and I should be good for 10k right🤔

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Installed the hitch and wiring
Need the tow haul button now and I should be good for 10k right🤔
Sadly it's only good for 2K if you're talking towing.

Peter

Sadly it's only good for 2K if you're talking towing.

Peter
I know the base install is. I’m just being silly based on reading what is said on here about towing installs. I’m talking with north country Ford about what what actually specs as required parts for the 5k capacity

I know the base install is. I’m just being silly based on reading what is said on here about towing installs. I’m talking with north country Ford about what what actually specs as required parts for the 5k capacity
I realized that but just thought I'd throw that in. Also, nothing can be done to change the legal tow rating of the vehicle once it leaves the factory. That's been discussed several times, but good luck.

Upgrading a truck's suspension to higher quality shocks, coil-overs or heavier-duty springs can make a significant improvement in ride quality and handling, but these components do not affect the vehicle's load or tow ratings. Those ratings are set by the truck manufacturer, and no modifications can change them.
Once a vehicle leaves the assembly line, its tow ratings and cargo capacities are set in stone, just like the VIN.

Peter

I realized that but just thought I'd throw that in. Also, nothing can be done to change the legal tow rating of the vehicle once it leaves the factory. That's been discussed several times, but good luck.

Upgrading a truck's suspension to higher quality shocks, coil-overs or heavier-duty springs can make a significant improvement in ride quality and handling, but these components do not affect the vehicle's load or tow ratings. Those ratings are set by the truck manufacturer, and no modifications can change them.
Once a vehicle leaves the assembly line, its tow ratings and cargo capacities are set in stone, just like the VIN.

Peter
That’s correct and we both probably would agree that in the end if a truck is assembled utilizing the exact components a tow package rig would have and when I say exact I mean exact it would be a paperwork technicality but the capacity could be safely towed. (Not 10k lol)

I put flowmaster 40 series(42441) on today from my local exhaust shop. Costed me 360 dollars to do so. I kept the same tips on but, thinking I should have went with black or black chrome. Ill add pics soon, I made a youtube video of the after startup in driveway, but I need to know if I can post it here or if I have to be an elite member? seriously heavily on getting the elite status to support this site.

I am also a new member, I posted my intro in the new members section.

ill try and get pics soon.

edit: here is a quick clip that I took

I put flowmaster 40 series(42441) on today from my local exhaust shop. Costed me 360 dollars to do so. I kept the same tips on but, thinking I should have went with black or black chrome. Ill add pics soon, I made a youtube video of the after startup in driveway, but I need to know if I can post it here or if I have to be an elite member? seriously heavily on getting the elite status to support this site.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Getting an Elite Explorer membership will result in more than just the ability to post from your device and have that saved to the forum's server.

Peter

Not today, but last weekend. Installed Ford Flex lowering springs.

pJEKqRa.jpg

Installed rear camber bolts today. Went from -2.5 in the rear to -1.5. Will be able to get it even lower when I figure out the right bolt for the inner top arm. When I get that one figured out I'll let everyone know. Camber was so off because I installed Flex lowering springs and it ended dropping it 3" all around after they settled. Just 1 bolt would be perfect for those that installed regular Explorer lowering springs. You need 1 for each side. https://amzn.to/3giPja5 FYI, this is the CORRECT bolt for the rear on the explorer. The one off of the ecoboost forum from the Taurus SHO is NOT.

sy3uA3v.jpg

edit: here is a quick clip that I took

Can you do a revving and inside driving video?

Picked up a set of used wheels. Dirty as hell, but will clean up soon. Different offset so they are out another 1/2" all the way around.

yLwidtv.jpg

E9Y8SyM.jpg

I have a 2015 Limited painted in matte black. For lighting, I run the headlights with HIDs and white LED halos around the headlight projector as DRLs; fog lights are yellow LEDs. I've modded several options with forscan such as ridding of the double-honk when exiting with key fob and enabling dark mode. I swapped my original non-nav my ford touch sync2 screen/apim with a screen/apim from a 2016, then updated the software to the current versions of sync3 and nav maps. For suspension, I run a larger wheel/tire configuration of 285/40/22 with Truxx 2.5" strut spacers up front. I have ceramic tint on all windows including a clear version on the windshield. For sound, I run a single JBL 12" sub inside of a Q-bomb box, and have upgraded the door speakers to DB drive. Im pretty much done with it, just want to keep it as long as possible. It's a 3.5 NA, so when the engine and trans dies, I'll look to make this a super sleeper with upgraded engine/trans/chasis.

I recently installed the Boomba Vent adapters. I was a bit surprised how loud they are but also how quiet when just driving at low boost. They do make a pretty noticeable turbo "whistle" noise when coasting. I got the anodized blue color which pretty much matches my blue intake manifold. Check out my Google album in signature for pics.

Hi y'all :) I am in the process of finishing a few projects on my Explorer lemme tell y'all bout it :D

View attachment 329513

So I added 20' Satan black rims with some aggressive all terrain tires.

View attachment 329514

I got rid of the factory Ford emblems and installed this black ones.
I also wrapped the tail lights. I may go darker now that I got the black wheels, but I am liking the smoked look right now.
I still have to wrap the top third break light, but I found a led smoked one I might purchase instead.
View attachment 329515

In the process of doing a chrome delete. I am going for Satan black.
I have already wrapped the door handles still have to do the lower door trim.
The rear Explorer trim and front grille I will be having painted this week.
I usually would just Plasti Dip everything real quick, but I am going for a different finish.
View attachment 329516
View attachment 329517

Added these clear headlights that have a black housing.

View attachment 329518

View attachment 329519

I also removed the lower bumper valance.
I ordered a center hood vinyl decal and a weather tech hood shield.
(Grille being painted)

View attachment 329520

I replaced the lights under the side mirrors to blue LED bulbs.

View attachment 329521

When I ordered these headlights they came with some terrible halogen bulbs. I replaced the turn signal with a LED swith bulb,
LED headlights, Blue LED parking light.

View attachment 329522

A lot more things I have on the list like a brake kit installation slotted.
I am curious, how bad is the road noise with those tires? what is the size ( I know they are 20s, so need the x../xx ). Thanks.

Emptied the JLT oil catch can today. This thing is usually empty every few months but i forgot to empty it in a while so this is about 6 months worth.

I recently installed the Boomba Vent adapters. I was a bit surprised how loud they are but also how quiet when just driving at low boost. They do make a pretty noticeable turbo "whistle" noise when coasting. I got the anodized blue color which pretty much matches my blue intake manifold. Check out my Google album in signature for pics.
Curious, did you buy the adapters through Boomba or another vendor? Do you have to do any modifications to install them or they were "bolt and play"?

Curious, did you buy the adapters through Boomba or another vendor? Do you have to do any modifications to install them or they were "bolt and play"?

Ordered from Boomba direct. They include everything you need. The back valve is hard to get at it. Take ur time and don't drop any bolts back there haha

It has been awhile since I added anything here. So I have a few things I did.

I finally finished vinyl wrapping the wood grain inside on the doors and the glove box. Wrapped my faux wood trim on door panels and glove box.

I added those new led mirror blinker lights. Side Mirror Sequential Turn Signal LED Lamps

The other day with some help from a friend, we installed new PowerStop pads and rotors. I went with the z36 set. It wasn't as bad as I thought, but I had to go buy an 18mm socket and had to rent the caliper tool for the rear calipers. I bought a kit for next time. The brakes look good and they stop great.

I also had some fun with Plastidip. I wanted to try to black out the chrome piece on the tailgate excpet for where it says Explorer (I have black plastic letters in there). I taped up and gave it a shot. Did 4 coats and glossifier. It looked awesome, until I tried to take the tape off. Due to my Plastidip ignorance, I didn't realize I had to take the tape off while it was wet. So off everything came. Then I tried another idea. I did 4 coats in less than 10 minutes and peeled off the tape only where I wanted a fine line. See pic below. It looks way better.

IMG_5243.JPG

Forgot to add had to but 2 new tires. Got a screw to close to the shoulder. I just decided to get 2. Now I have a good spare with only 9500 miles on it.

Maybe a Steeda sway bar is next?

Did you black out the reverse and signal lights?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back