• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

What did you do to your 5th Gen today?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

CarpeNoctem

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT 202A
I bought an extended warranty from Joel.

FWIW, as part of the process, I thought I would check my local dealer to see what they said. I actually bought my Exp from their sister dealer. So, I called the local sister and was told by the woman that I needed to change the oil (wtf?) and after many days, call backs, neglected call backs, etc. she tells me I already have an extended warranty (strangely the exact one I was interested in).

With that in mind, I call Ford, got someone in India and they tell me I only have the standard warranty.

I then call the selling dealer (trying to get to the bottom of my 'existing' extended warranty) and left msgs with them resulting in no callbacks. I finally told the receptionist what was going on and she xfers me to someone else's v-mail. I finally get a callback from him and he says I don't have an ESP and then quotes me $1050 more than Joel for the exact ESP.

Everything couldn't have gone smoother and quicker than with Joel. I recommend contacting him for an ESP's! Just FYI, regardless of what my local shysters had said, I was still going to buy from Joel. I don't trust my local sister dealerships more than I can throw them. Oh yeah, apparently they conveniently sent in a buyer survey, in my name, to Ford. In an email, they thanked me for all my 5 star replies. SMDH

I just wish we had more reputable and eager dealers around here.

RhinoQuartz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Explorer Base
I bought an extended warranty from Joel.

FWIW, as part of the process, I thought I would check my local dealer to see what they said. I actually bought my Exp from their sister dealer. So, I called the local sister and was told by the woman that I needed to change the oil (wtf?) and after many days, call backs, neglected call backs, etc. she tells me I already have an extended warranty (strangely the exact one I was interested in).

With that in mind, I call Ford, got someone in India and they tell me I only have the standard warranty.

I then call the selling dealer (trying to get to the bottom of my 'existing' extended warranty) and left msgs with them resulting in no callbacks. I finally told the receptionist what was going on and she xfers me to someone else's v-mail. I finally get a callback from him and he says I don't have an ESP and then quotes me $1050 more than Joel for the exact ESP.

Everything couldn't have gone smoother and quicker than with Joel. I recommend contacting him for an ESP's! Just FYI, regardless of what my local shysters had said, I was still going to buy from Joel. I don't trust my local sister dealerships more than I can throw them. Oh yeah, apparently they conveniently sent in a buyer survey, in my name, to Ford. In an email, they thanked me for all my 5 star replies. SMDH

I just wish we had more reputable and eager dealers around here.
Report them to Ford. Their customer reviews are a big deal. I even got an email asking for a 5 star review when I brought my Explorer in for the CO recall.

CarpeNoctem

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT 202A
Report them to Ford. Their customer reviews are a big deal. I even got an email asking for a 5 star review when I brought my Explorer in for the CO recall.
I would like to but not sure whom to contact. I don't think reporting it to Raghavendra would do much good.

CarpeNoctem

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT 202A
That is where I got the phone# that was answered in India. If I get really motivated, I'll send a snail mail.
Contact Us

Pick your poison.
That is where I got the phone# that was answered in India. If I get really motivated, I'll send a snail mail.

Ntrain

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT

Send it certified, signature required.

Biohazrus

Reaction score
City, State
Gatineau, Qc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016, Sport, Ruby Red
I have a ruby red 2016 explorer and thinking about adding black accent on my hood, Should I hit the inner (lower) section or the 2 upper "ribs"!?
Saw the inner section done, don't recall seeing the upper sections.

After I made my choice I'll follow the "treatment" by getting all pillars black.

Also, should I use vinyl wrap or paint?
Note: I have a clear vinyl protector on the front.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3

QuietStorm17

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Bowie, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT 4WD
  • C81B0F1E-AD9D-4430-BA09-7FDFB6CA3A12.jpeg
    516C83CF-6255-4726-BD1B-ACAFEFF00F35.jpeg
    8A9C1C49-6D74-4E4D-8742-9660FA332E44.jpeg
    852D02F1-45FC-4440-9A02-EF01338AFDE3.jpeg
    488C163A-E29A-4F95-839C-AAB6C6B25D9A.jpeg
    2429F30B-4C18-46C7-807D-009479C7511A.jpeg
  • Hello all, I put on black lug nuts and black with a blue Ford oval MPG caliper covers on my X. The next morning I picked up a screw in the right rear tire (yes, I got screwed). After two years and 25,600 miles there was not enough tread left to patch it, plus the tires were cracking and flaking. Goodbye to the OEM Hankooks and hello to the new set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 I ordered from Tire Rack. They were installed yesterday. I was very happy until I noticed the damage to the rim done by the installer. The owner of the tire center is going to pay for the repair. But on the bright side there is a noticeable improvement in the ride quality, handeling and acceleration with the Continentals. I’ll paint the calipers black when the temperature warms up sometime this spring so everything matches. I might also paint the hats on the rotors, but I may get some sloted and drilled rotors in the near future so I might hold off on the painted hats. Happy trails.

Last edited by a moderator:

Biohazrus

Reaction score
City, State
Gatineau, Qc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016, Sport, Ruby Red
Here is post with stripes; What did you do to your 5th Gen today?
There is another member who put the black in the hood indent.

Peter
Ok, I'll try not to laught to loud... (Just kidding, I took a picture yesterday to do the same photoshot-ish mock-up!)
Yes, seeing that most are doing the indent, curious to know if the upper section were done by anyone!

Jon M

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mount Pleasant, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Ok, I'll try not to laught to loud... (Just kidding, I took a picture yesterday to do the same photoshot-ish mock-up!)
Yes, seeing that most are doing the indent, curious to know if the upper section were done by anyone!
Are you talking about the sides of the indent? There are pre-cut black vinyl decals on eBay.

Biohazrus

Reaction score
City, State
Gatineau, Qc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016, Sport, Ruby Red
Are you talking about the sides of the indent? There are pre-cut black vinyl decals on eBay.
Yes, but I am looking for the upper ribs, like this:

Last edited:

Jon M

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mount Pleasant, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3

LSL Explorer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Platinum
20X9 Fuel Assault Wheels.
265 50 20 Nitto's

IMG_0212.jpeg

IMG_0206.jpeg

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Just curious if the OEM wheels you are selling have the TPMS included or did you use them in your new ones?

Peter

LSL Explorer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Platinum
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Just curious if the OEM wheels you are selling have the TPMS included or did you use them in your new ones?

Peter
No, I used them in my new wheels.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

RhinoQuartz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Explorer Base
Had the PTU drained and refilled. There's no drain plug though, so it had to be vacuumed out, but the shop could only get about half of the fluid out. They did say it didn't look that bad at all, so should be good for the next 40-50k miles at least.

I should've taken pictures, but while they had it up, I noticed rust already developing. This is its first northern winter - previous owners were retirees who took it south for winter, I think - and there's already a noticeable amount of rust (is that the sound of another set of chrome exhausts I hear?).

Next step is to get it undercoated, hopefully next week. After that, an almost total light swap to LEDs is on the cards.