• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

What did you do to your 5th Gen today?

Ls2Bait

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Thanks Peter,

Yeah, I looked all over trying to find something, searched the forum with "Center Stack," "Interior Trim," and a couple of others and came up with nothing. So I thought I would throw up a post and see if someone remembers. I'm going to keep looking. ;)
They pop right off. I took mine off when I wrapped them in carbon fiber to match the oe fiber trim on the doors.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

RhinoQuartz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Explorer Base
I am with you on that Peter. I do not like smoked or painted taillights, especially here in the southwest. If you are behind a vehicle with smoked or painted lenses, and the sun is behind you (sun light is hitting the back of the vehicle in front of you), the taillights/brake lights are useless. You can't see them at all. Fortunately, most people don't bother to smoke or paint the third brake light, so at least you can tell when they are stopping, sometimes. I was following a black Chevy Tahoe one late afternoon that someone had use black film on all three rear facing lenses and they might as well as had no brake lights at all. I was going to get a picture, put the light changed before I could get the phone out of my pocket. I can not understand why someone would want to reduce the brightness of the light that lets other people know you're stopping just to look "cool." I like the factory lenses on the Sports, because they don't have any reduction in light output and you can clearing see when the brake has been applied. Sorry about the rant, but this is a pet peeve of mine.
I am right there with you, on the myriad of vehicle pages on Facebook I'm on, it's a super popular mod. I used to post against it and got flamed for it actually. Apparently cool is more important than safety.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
They pop right off. I took mine off when I wrapped them in carbon fiber to match the oe fiber trim on the doors.
Another member did something similar and posted pictures of that.

Peter

Fettfan105

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Total interior led swap, matte black 3Mhood panel and Steeda throttle body spacer Funny noticed all the charge pipe clamps were loose

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
A picture of the hood panel would be nice.

Peter

Rainlord

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Zurich, Switzerland
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 XLT
Thanks Peter,

Yeah, I looked all over trying to find something, searched the forum with "Center Stack," "Interior Trim," and a couple of others and came up with nothing. So I thought I would throw up a post and see if someone remembers. I'm going to keep looking. ;)
By center stack I assume you either mean the sides of the screen/AC controls, or the sides of the "shifter area"?

If that's what you mean it's very easy.

- The sides of the screen/AC controls pop out with a simple pull. I take them off way too often, so my technique is to start at the top, pull outwards (I use my nails, but you can use a piece of thin plastic or trim removing tool if you wish). When it pops out a bit, scoot down to where it's still attached and do the same again, and keep going until the entire thing pops off. They're held by ~3 clips. Here's the post where I replaced mine with nicer ones.

- If you want to take off the lower side panels of the center console (assuming that's what you meant), you just pull them out as well. Start at the top, then you can go from one end to the other. One of the connectors in the middle (the one that sticks out a bit more than the others and can move vertically a bit (mine is green)) might need a push downward as you push a new panel on, as the slot it goes in to is lower than what the tension of the connector is at.

- If you want to take off the whole center console (assuming that's what you meant), let me know, I've done that 100 times too, but there's a few more steps. I posted about it here.

san~man

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Sport
Installed these Lasfit LED front and rear turn signal bulbs last week, super bright and a very good upgrade over stock. CANBUS built in so no hyperflash.

Darkiron90

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Northern chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport App
I am right there with you, on the myriad of vehicle pages on Facebook I'm on, it's a super popular mod. I used to post against it and got flamed for it actually. Apparently cool is more important than safety.
I know exactly what you guys mean, usually when guys go the cheap route and do the VHT spray tint it's so dark you cant see the lights. I spent a year flip flopping over doing it and I finally did it. There is a brand out there that tints the lights but still let's 90 percent of the light show thru. I cant think of the name. Its expensive but it is as advertised. It's a tinting film like for windiw but specifically made for taillights. I believe it's like 100 bucks for a sheet. Alot of mustang and challenger guys get it because they make one with a honeycomb print in them that looks cool on smaller lights. I will try to remember the name and post pics of the lights daytime and nighttime.

20191119_195608.jpg

Darkiron90

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Northern chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport App
Here is how dark they are tinted in the daylight. Sorry for the shitty pics. The product is called Luxe Lightwrap. This guy does a good video on them.

Screenshot_20191119-195917_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Darkiron90

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Northern chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport App
Thanks you! The continental DWS were good but the tires wore out so fast. I was only able to get 25K on them. I got a small rebate and I put the balance into a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires. So far they handle excellent especially in the rain but the true test will be in the snow this winter.

I’ve already got about 12K on these tires and they look like they are holding up very well. I read somewhere that our explorers are hard on tires and that the Pirelli’s are the ones that could take a beating everyday. We’ll see.
I'm really interested in hearing how they do in the snow. The stock tires seem to lose alot of grip in the wet after about 25k.

Darkiron90

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Northern chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport App

BubbaG

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Hebbronville, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
I'm really interested in hearing how they do in the snow. The stock tires seem to lose alot of grip in the wet after about 25k.
My extreme contact tires finally came in after about a 3 month backorder delay. They are 1.5” wider than the stock tires and are a night and day difference. It finally rain here in south Texas the other day and I took the sport out just to try the tires in the rain, and wow. It was taking corners at 65-70mph like it was dry pavement. As for snow... well we don’t know what that is down here. But I would love to take a road trip and test them out in it lol

Darkiron90

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Northern chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport App
did you find a pre cut kit or did you have to have it done?
I had it done just because it's a lifetime warranty thru an authorized dealer. I think they sell sheets tho.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Did you guys know about this...? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
L Did you miss out on the Livernois Motorsports CAD Track Day? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
L Did you pass on the Sport, but still want the performance? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 30
A Did my first mod today Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
C Well I finally did it... ordered the Livernois Tuner Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 7
P Other possible seat swaps besides Flex and other 5th gens? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
K Adding Recovery Hooks on 5th Gen? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 13
S Custom lift for 5th gen? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
Rick List of Useful Threads Modified 5th Gen Forum's Best Threads Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
T 5th Gen Explorer Photo Thread Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 270
N tire chains? anyone with 5th gen experiance Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 5
K Is it possible to put a coyote 5.0 in a 5th gen? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
O Question regarding Daytime Running LED's on 5th Gen Explorer (Picture) Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 82
T 5th gen LED bulbs? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 8
S 5th Gen Explorer With LED Light Bar Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 149
Rick Modified 5th gens for new "Benchmark" page Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
F 5th gen lowered??? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 3
jcerrion How To: Trim the lower fasica bumper on a 5th gen X Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
R Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 513
B Gen 5 T-Rex Grille? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
M nuB with a fifth gen sport.. Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 12
C Wheel sizing between Gen 4 & 5 Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 3
C skid plate / undercarriage / lower vent for Gen 5 Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
M Aftermarket Accessories for Explorer Gen 5 Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
I Factory Tow Hitch Kit for Gen 5 Explorer c/w Video Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 34